• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

26 or 21 I don't know:(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Caretaker

Registered
I have an AMD 2600+ but I can only run it at 2100and it doing my brain in (whats left of it) This is not my main rig but I still need it to run faster. can anybody help me?
I have to run the bus speed 133 instead of 166 any idea what could be causing this?

the set up is
Amd athlon 2600+
512 mb Ram
128mb graphics card
2 x 80gb Maxtor HDD
Creative DVD/CD R/W

What motherboard is it (chipset) and what is the RAM rated for?
133x13= 1733MHz (2100+)
166x13= 2166MHz (2600+)

Your FSB is supposed to be at 166 for the CPU to work at its full speed.

Also it'd be great if you could post a screen shot of GCPUID (my sig, red link).

It most likely won't run at 2600 on air. Look at my settings in my sig. It's your FSB that's holding you back, you should up that to above 200 and your voltage will need to go up along with it. I'd start at 200mhzfsb and 1.7V with the setup you have and then go up from there.

theMonster said:
It most likely won't run at 2600 on air. Look at my settings in my sig. It's your FSB that's holding you back, you should up that to above 200 and your voltage will need to go up along with it. I'd start at 200mhzfsb and 1.7V with the setup you have and then go up from there.
He wasn't talking about the rig in his sig, but another machine.

You realize you're both arguing about different things and think they're the same?

theMonster, he isn't trying to run his CPU at 2600, he's trying to figure out why his 2600+ is only running at 2100+ instead of 2600+.

Hense, the confusion.

Hey guy's don't fight! If I set the FSB to 166 it closes the pc down after about 3 mins of being on.

As for the mothereboard, sorry guys have not got a clue came with the box and was bought new off ebay. about a year ago.

it used to run at 166 and then of course 2600 but one day it stopped and the only way I can get to run now is at 2100.

Thanks for your continuing help people.

Last edited:
Hmm. The only thing I can think of is maybe your ram doesn't like running at 166. Do you know what kind it is, PC2700 or PC2100? Maybe if you up the vdimm a little, or run it async if your board has that option, you can possibly return to running 166 FSB. But to me it sonds like one of your components is going bad and I'm betting either MB or ram.

Back