• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SETI and laptops?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dreamstalker

How well does SETI play with laptops? I have it running on a POS Dell Inspiron (feh) with thermal issues. My system temps shoot up near 70 (sometimes over, but I haven't crashed out yet) and my fan doesn't seem happy. What could I do to bring my temps back to something resembling normal (the way this laptop's been behaving, I like to keep my temps around or under 40)?

Guess it depends on the type of processor. I've run seti on several laptops dating back to 1999. I never had an issue with any of them, but I know a couple of them ran hotter than I would have liked. My latest laptop is a thinkpad t42p with a 2GHz pentium M. It actually runs pretty cool. In fact the fan rarely comes on even while running seti 24/7. I know there are some pcmcia laptop card coolers you can buy. Might want to look into that.

Have you cleaned the heat sink and fan?

I hate to state the obvious but laptop heat sinks get dirty just like desktop heat sinks. Pull the processor and put on some new thermal grease too.

Been crunching with my 2 laptop with no problems whatsoever for awhile now. Toshiba Satellite P4 1.7 and Compaq presario with XP 1500

well my laptop is not fast but it can stay on all the time and not get hot or be loud...

and it has been crunching boinc for about a year

I'll look into a cooling pad this weekend; have to go on the prowl for NAVI parts anyway. Will also try cracking the case and cleaning out the heatsink on this beast; just need to figure out how to do it correctly (Dell has a how-to in the manual for removing the keyboard, but of course they won't tell anyone how to really open it up and I don't want to ruin it before I get NAVI up and running).

I've been crunching SETI on several laptop myself too. currently crunch on a PIII 1.0Ghz and a P-M 1.6 Ghz (Dothan) laptop. as TC mentioned, it depends on the brand and the cpu. some runs fairly cool while others get burning hot! also, beside of the heat and other reasons, wear & tear rate is much higher (faster) than on any typical desktop tho! (had replace hard drives on 2 laptops and another one's screen die)

Got a cooling pad, and it seems to be fine in screensaver mode (~10c lower than before I got the pad). Got a BSOD earlier that doesn't seem to have anything to do with it...haven't tried running it in the background, but I have it going fulltime on a desktop that seems OK with it.

Running BOINC/SETI on a hp Pentium-M 1.6 laptop whenever on AC power, often 24/7. Very cool, very silent, very fast, and the adapter is only 65Watts.

Back