• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Aerocool Hghtower 101jr

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

12am

Well.... ordered a hightower 101 all copper heatpipe cooler from frozencpu because it seemed to be the only high performance copper heatsink that you can clip to your motherboard that is available these days.... upon opening the box however I found it's weaker cousin the all alluminum hightower jr. Frozencpu told me they had no more of the copper hightowers and that they weren't sure how long until they would be instock... the sales rep also insisted that this cooler was just as good as the copper hightower and that review sites were acclaiming this aluminuim hightower... I for one am extremely skeptical as aluminum coolers of the past have been very poor heatsinks, especially when o/cing. Now to the question.. Has anyone have any first hand experience with the Aerocool Hightower 101jr? and secondly does anyone know where to find a review on it? as a google searchh done by me shows no reviews on the 101jr... I just want to know if I'm gonna be left with a 60 dollar paperwieght here.. oh and for refrence I'm currently using a broken slk-800 (broken because I used a cleaning agent on it and now temps are sky high no matter how many times I clean the slk-800).

eh. usually aluminum heatsinks built the same as their copper cousins are very near to the copper version. Example: the alx-800. Example: the Zalman 7000 AlCu.

actually the aluminum Zalman beat the copper in silentpcreviews tests; maybe just a quirk.

I am not a fan of any HT-101, though. Did worse than Vantec Aeroflow despite all my ducting efforts. I would rather get a normally oriented HS and duct it to case side.

the wesson

I'd expect a refund of a few bucks. There's no sense sending it back since you'll have to pay for shipping, but they shoud give you a break on it, at least store credit. They did not ship you what you ordered, and IMO, that's bull****. They should have contacted you first.

And I believe there's more to it than just being aluminum. That's the old model as far as I know, and it doesn't perform as well as the solid copper version, so there may be other design differences. The solid copper version got pretty good reviews, competing with the likes of Thermalright. In the Viper Lair review, it barely beats a Swiftech MCX. Granted, that's a decent heatsink, but it's not as good as the heatsink you ordered.

No I am talking about a brand new model from aerocool the Hightower 101jr. It is diffrent from the ht101 in the fact that it is all aluminum... demensions remain the same I'm pretty sure. Frozencpu refunded me the diffrence of what the heatsink costs (20 dollars less). I threw it in anyways and strapped my tornado and the stock fan on there and am kinda dissapointed... 52c load temps... however I am able to overclock more with it... infact I've now gotten upto 2500mhz. Oh well... you win some you lose some :( at least this only has to hold me over another 6 months or so until I can afford a a64 setup.

After countless times trying both my slk-800 and hightower 101jr I am constantly getting 50+c load temps... I have tried thin layers of as5 and thick layers of as5 and have cleaned both the hs and core with iso after each try. I also made sure the heatsink didn't move around while installing it... wtf is going on here? my room temp is 15c there is no possible way that I botched 7 heatsink installs in a row. Could this be my mobo incorrectly reading the diode temp or what?

It's possible. Do you have good case airflow? Why not just get an SI-97? They're $35 and bound to be better than either of your heatsinks. Of course, it won't be anything drastic considering you're pretty heavily overclocked. Why aren't you running at a higher FSB, lower multiplier, btw?

Off topic:

How much was your 213T and what's the response time?

yes, what's the case temp?

50+C doesn't surprise me much for a Barton at 1.8v / 2500 MHz. Maximum thermal power 97W according to CPUHeat. That's about like my T-bird.

you'd need a cool case and a good heatsink to get good temps.

So -- if your case temp is 30C or more (as I would expect) then there's lots of stuff to do about that if you choose to.

the wesson

PS 50+C temp, is that from diode or socket? If from diode, then not so bad!

SI-97? is that a thermalright sink? and does it clip on? because my mobo has no mounting holes around the socket. Secondly I don't run high fsb because the mobo has problems running over 210fsb and my ram looses it's tight timings past 205 so I just leave it at 200. Case ventilation is highly adequate with 2 80mm intake fans 2 80mm exhaust fans and a 120mm exhaust fan. On the topic of the 213T I bought it for $1,499cdn and it has a response time of 25ms... while that sounds high the monitor does very well in games... the only one that has bad ghosting is nhl2005. Fps games are excellent as are racing games.

Last edited:
So let me get this straight... even though the SI-97 is an aluminum sink it will be better than both the slk-800 and this ht101?.. if this is true I'm sold and will order it right away.

Thermalright SI-97 is alu, but thanks to heatpipes, its performance is extremely good. Short fins allow using of silent fans that can't produce high pressure. It's very light too - so you don't need to worry about your mobo.

I wouldn't try these copper tower monsters. Perhaps their performance is really good, but installing one, you're just asking for mobo damage. They definietly need mobo in horizontal position or some additional mounting to case.

12am said:
So let me get this straight... even though the SI-97 is an aluminum sink it will be better than both the slk-800 and this ht101?.. if this is true I'm sold and will order it right away.

I don't have an SI-97 myself but I would certainly buy one if I needed a Socket A heatsink.

The review URL I quoted above happens to compare the HT-101 (copper) to an SI-97 and the ALX-800 (aluminum cousin of your SLK-800). 3000+ Barton, overclocked, they don't mention voltage.

SI-97 deltaC: 15.4
HT-101 deltaC: 18.6
ALX-800 deltaC: 21.8

So I would expect you to do better with an SI-97, although "your mileage may vary". As mentioned above, the SI-97 should be a great choice with a low or medium speed fan.

Yes, it's aluminum, and yes copper beats aluminum, but on the other hand there's quite a lot of aluminum on the SI-97 / XP-90 / XP-120, and area counts too.

It also helps it to have the larger fan on it, 92mm instead of 80mm.

the wesson

PS Any way you slice it, though, 90W is a lot of heat, so don't expect miracles ... I'd be happy to get below 50C diode temp with your CPU at that speed and voltage without a lot of noise.

I ordered a Si-97 today... and am eagerly awaiting it to be delivered.... gonna strap the ole vantec tornado to it and see where it takes me.... thanks for suggesting the si-97... I guess I shoulda come here to consult you guys before I went out and ordered the ht101!.

12am said:
I ordered a Si-97 today... and am eagerly awaiting it to be delivered.... gonna strap the ole vantec tornado to it and see where it takes me.... thanks for suggesting the si-97... I guess I shoulda come here to consult you guys before I went out and ordered the ht101!.

Well I for one would be interested to know what sort of temps you get. Another data point, you know. So if you feel like reporting back after you install the SI-97 please don't hesitate.

the wesson

Back