• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Too many choices, information overload! (Choosing memory speed)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zeke009

Alright, after quite a debacle with my new system I am getting a few refunds from newegg and I will have to select some new memory for my system.

Core system specs:
Abit IC7-G
P4 3.0E
WD 80GB Sata
eVGA GeForce 6800GT

I'm currently using PC3200 2x256MB Corsair XMS memory in it, but I'm about to buy a 1GB twin pair... but with all the speeds I'm thoroughly confused as to which ones I should get?

How big of a difference can I expect from a PC3200 pair to a PC4000 pair to a PC4500 pair? I've never had a good understanding of all these new speeds and if the benefit is worth the price.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
Hey Zeke,

I faced the same thing you did a while back. To be perfectly honest, some of the pc3200 and pc4000 modules have VERY little difference. For example, you may purchase the exact same memory but labeled at different speeds. Samsumg TCCD based ram can either be sold as pc3200 @ 2-2-2-5 or pc4000 @ 3-4-4-8. They both still have the same memory chips. If you are dependent on a high fsb, which I think you might be with that new p4 of yours, then I would look into pc4000. At least that way, you are gauranteed 250fsb out of your ram. Prices have come down on it as well. Best of luck!

-Collin-

Thanks Ninja! I'm looking at the different options now. One other thing I neglected to mention in my previous post was the timings. They don't always make sense to me either.

You can see one company selling 2.5-3-2-5 at one price and then another company selling memory rated at 3-4-4-7 at a higher price. I was always under the impression that lower was better.

In the words of Cliff Clavin, "What's up with that?"

Different companies will always have different prices I guess. I don't know if you meant that you didnt understand the timings or not, but if you did...

Frequency (mhz) is transfer rate.

Timings are access time or latency.

Higher mhz transfers data faster, lower timings access the memory faster.

-Collin-

hey zeke, ur 3.0 will probably run around 3.6/3.8 on air. so with a 15 multi. i would get something that runs the lowest latency(2.2.2.5) between 240/ and 260. winbond bh5 has been known to run that high with added voltage. (3.2+ volts) the ocz ebpc3700 (disc) runs well in those speeds @(2.5/3).3.2.5. at around 2.8/2,9 volts. it may very well run faster with added voltage. also the crucial ballistix pc4000 mruns like 2.5.2.2.5
up to 260 with 2.8/2.9 volts. the newest samsung tccd is supposed to run real well with added voltage @2.2.2.5 latencies, b4 it would only run 220 mhz or so. lastly. ocz has added a new module to their lineup which is designed to go 250/260 @2.2.2.5 at insane voltages (3.5 volts). I hope this has helped u my friend..

thanks flapperhead... do you have any experience with PDP Memory? I saw this stuff tonight and the info sheet for their site was pretty interesting. Once it's running stable I plan to start finding out how far I can push it.

Apparently it's using the TCCD chips I keep seeing everyone talk about here.
http://www.clankeen.com//kn/solice/PDC1G512G3200+XBLK.pdf
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=20-220-033&depa=0

Hopefully the issues with their homepage are just that, some issues and not something more ominous. http://www.pdpsys.com

there are these fancy OCZ memory sticks coming out soon....read the post about them in the Memory section....its called...BH-5 Killer....these sticks of memory (the ICs are still unknown) sound to be some wicked stuff....the memory is called Voltage Master or something weird like that...might be wrong name thought im thinking off the top of my head

EDIT: yeah i know i didnt really answer ur question but im just really excited about this memory! (NOTE: its more for great OCing of the memory that im hyped about and so are most people....and also the WICKED warrenty on it)

Back