• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bum p4 chip or cooling issue?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wdeep4

i have a 3.4 ghz northwood socket 478 chip which will not o/c stable beyond about 5 percent (3.58 ghz). vcore is 1.65. chip is air cooled and temp is 60c at full load. going up more on the vcore doesn't seem to help. are my temps too high? would i get better results with water cooling? or do i just have a bum chip? in other words, would i be better off investing in a water cooling setup or in a new chip? right now i can't afford both. what do you guys think would be the better (or safer) bet? thanks.

wdeep4 said:
i have a 3.4 ghz northwood socket 478 chip which will not o/c stable beyond about 5 percent (3.58 ghz). vcore is 1.65. chip is air cooled and temp is 60c at full load. going up more on the vcore doesn't seem to help. are my temps too high? would i get better results with water cooling? or do i just have a bum chip? in other words, would i be better off investing in a water cooling setup or in a new chip? right now i can't afford both. what do you guys think would be the better (or safer) bet? thanks.

Temps seem a bit high, i think.

What kind of cooling do you have? How is your case airflow?

You might want to try remounting your HSF.

That much extra voltage also probably isn't necessary when only adding that little of an OC, I'd decrease the voltage (which will lower the temps too).

Last edited:
wdeep4 said:

^^^^^^^
there's your problem.
60C load....

But what motherboard are you using?
Is that your -real- load temp?
if you're using an IC7 series, the load temp is around 13C overreported, so that gives you 47C. If you are 'really' at 60C load, you have a problem--you are only 8C below throttling temp.

Irregardless, I'd invest in an XP-90 or XP-120 heatsink, powerful fan, and some arctic silver 5. That will drop the temps by at *least* 10C from what you have now, and depending on how much those temps are overreported or not, up to 20C. Skip the water cooling for now.

Falkentyne said:
^^^^^^^
there's your problem.
60C load....

But what motherboard are you using?
Is that your -real- load temp?
if you're using an IC7 series, the load temp is around 13C overreported, so that gives you 47C. If you are 'really' at 60C load, you have a problem--you are only 8C below throttling temp.

Irregardless, I'd invest in an XP-90 or XP-120 heatsink, powerful fan, and some arctic silver 5. That will drop the temps by at *least* 10C from what you have now, and depending on how much those temps are overreported or not, up to 20C. Skip the water cooling for now.

ok. thanks! i'll try something along those lines and let you know how it turns out.

Back