Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Power Supplies and Electronic Devices
Power Supplies and Electronic Devices
Forum Jump

Front Panel Firewire Connector Help Please

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 11-24-04, 10:27 PM Thread Starter   #1
ewalk123

Front Panel Firewire Connector Help Please

NOTE: DO NOT ATTEMP THIS! I HAD THE USB AND FIREWIRE CABLES MIXED UP!

I need to plug this (from a chieftec dragon case)

Into one of these green plugs (from MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum mobo)

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Video : BFG 6800 GT OC 370/1000
PSU : PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 510 SLI
CPU Cooling : Thermalright XP-90 + 90mm Panaflo M1A 48cfm
Case Cooling : Panaflo 80mm U1A 68.8cfm x 5
HDD : 80GB Seagate SATA
Case : Chieftec Dragon Mid Tower
Monitor : Samsung 930B 19'' 8ms 700:1 LCD

Last edited by ewalk123; 11-26-04 at 06:18 PM.
ewalk123 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-25-04, 01:47 PM   #2
Rich_L
Registered

Looks like you’ll need to do a major pinout change because no way do the signal labels on the connectors match up with the pinout on the motherboard connector shown in the motherboard manual. The first thing to do is to label each wire with a small piece of tape with the current signal name from the connector.

Now comes the fun part, you need to remove all the wires the connectors except for the single GROUND and 2+D (tan wire?). The wires are typically held in the connectors with a simple locking clip. This can be a bent metal tab on the pin or tab on the plastic connector. What you need to do is use a pin or other small object to gently pick the locking clip and slide the wire out. You need to be careful because you’ll be reusing these parts.

Once you have all the wires out you can now repin the connectors so they can be connected to the motherboard. Take the 3-position connector with the 2+D wire attached and insert one of the GROUND wires in the middle position and then insert the 1+D wire. Now take the other 3-position connector and insert the 1-D wire at one end and the other GROUND wire in the middle position and 2-D wire in the last position. Now insert the +5V wires in the 2-position connector. Now double check you work because if a +5V wire and GROUND wire get swapped you could damage something.

Ok now you can connect the connector with the 1+D wire so that the 1+D wire connects to motherboard connector pin #1 TPA+, GROUND wire to pin #3 GROUND and 2+D wire to pin #5 TPB+. Now connect the other 3-position connector so 1-D wire connects to motherboard connector pin #2 TPA-, GROUND wire to pin #4 GROUND and 2-D wire to pin #6 TPB-. Next is the 2-position connector with the +5V wires connected to pins 7&8 and lastly the single GROUND wire to pin 10.
Rich_L is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-25-04, 01:58 PM Thread Starter   #3
ewalk123

Wow, sounds complicated. Thanks for the detailed instructions. Ill give it a try tonight.

Old 11-25-04, 02:15 PM   #4
jcw122

same thing happened with my AMS case...exept mabe only 3/10 (very rough estimation) plugs match with the mobo....

CPU-AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 2.0Ghz@2.2Ghz (was 2.4) Socket 754, VENICE
Memory-Crucial Ballistix 2x512MB @ 220mhz 2.5-2-2-5
Motherboard-No Idea My DFI Died
Video Card-MSI ATI 9800XT---412/390(was 424/395)---w00t! Flashed
PSU-Forton Blue Storm 500w

Currently Air Cooled w/ Scythe Ninja and AC VGA Silencer
R.I.P. Project: Humidity
Heatware
jcw122 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-26-04, 09:24 AM   #5
winterhavok

Most motherboards comes with a sticker that shows you (to a vague degree) of where the front side ports should connect into. My guess, if you want to try it (if all else fails) is to use the very last one, on most motherboards with a setup like that, the first set is for the hdd, power, reset, speaker, etc for the case. The second is usually reserved for frontside USB, which my guess is that its both the 2nd and 3rd set, probably if you have more than two front USB ports. So the firewire tends to be the last one. That's just what I have dealt with in my repair and building both on my own rigs and for my job.
winterhavok is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-26-04, 06:16 PM Thread Starter   #6
ewalk123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_L
Looks like you’ll need to do a major pinout change because no way do the signal labels on the connectors match up with the pinout on the motherboard connector shown in the motherboard manual. The first thing to do is to label each wire with a small piece of tape with the current signal name from the connector.

Now comes the fun part, you need to remove all the wires the connectors except for the single GROUND and 2+D (tan wire?). The wires are typically held in the connectors with a simple locking clip. This can be a bent metal tab on the pin or tab on the plastic connector. What you need to do is use a pin or other small object to gently pick the locking clip and slide the wire out. You need to be careful because you’ll be reusing these parts.

Once you have all the wires out you can now repin the connectors so they can be connected to the motherboard. Take the 3-position connector with the 2+D wire attached and insert one of the GROUND wires in the middle position and then insert the 1+D wire. Now take the other 3-position connector and insert the 1-D wire at one end and the other GROUND wire in the middle position and 2-D wire in the last position. Now insert the +5V wires in the 2-position connector. Now double check you work because if a +5V wire and GROUND wire get swapped you could damage something.

Ok now you can connect the connector with the 1+D wire so that the 1+D wire connects to motherboard connector pin #1 TPA+, GROUND wire to pin #3 GROUND and 2+D wire to pin #5 TPB+. Now connect the other 3-position connector so 1-D wire connects to motherboard connector pin #2 TPA-, GROUND wire to pin #4 GROUND and 2-D wire to pin #6 TPB-. Next is the 2-position connector with the +5V wires connected to pins 7&8 and lastly the single GROUND wire to pin 10.
First of all, thanks for taking the time to figure this out. I tried it and it did not work. In fact, neither front panel USB nor FIREWIRE was working. Then I thought to re-check the connections on the front panel.

I realized that I had the usb and firewire cables mixed up (on the motherboard end not the front panel). In other words, the picture in my first post shows the firewire cable pluged into the USB (yellow) slot on the mobo and the loose cables in the close-up shot are the actual USB cables!

I undid all re-cabling that I did to the USB cables (which I thought were firewire) and plugged them into their correct spots. I just tested and everything works fine. Good thing I didnt damage anything by doing this!

Thanks again for the help!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Power Supplies and Electronic Devices
Power Supplies and Electronic Devices