• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do all pci cards work with pci slots?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bboy_Jon

Ok well we got a free IBM computer with a P1 (100mhz) 1mb video ram, 44mb of ram, and a 1gb hard drive. It had windows 95 on it, and i put 98se on it, but the sound card drivers (dled em off the net, at 3rd party sites and ibm.com) and none of em work, because i dont think there compatible with windows 98 (they always lock up and screw up the pc so i have to reformat)

so i need to get a new sound card and modem, since i cant find any cards with sound and a modem in one

so would this card work?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=29-117-104&depa=0

are all pci cards compatable with all pci slots, no matter how old the slot/mobo is?

and how about this modem?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=25-180-003&depa=0

thats for dial up correct?

AFAIK it should work, I had old and new cards in newer and older machines so it should work. Another thing if you have sound or a modem onboard it might be locking up the pc if they are not disabled. Also some old sound card and modem needed to be in the master pci slot to work properly. When doesthe pc locks up, is it at random?

well its not onboard, its a pci card. It locks up when im installing the sound things

theres like 5 parts, and 1 and 2 is installed but when i try 3 (it says itll look like the system isnt doing anything for about 45 seconds) but it just sits there (with the hourglass for the mouse) for hours and it doesnt do anything, and i havent moved its position at all

As far as I remember the PCI slots (as long as one of them isnt PCI express) should work no matter how old the motherboard is. It shouldn't be that old if it even has PCI slots, the older mobos tended to only have ISA for awhile.

well it has white slots and then big brow/black ones

well we checked out office depot to see if they had anything and we found a 9 dollar sound blaster live 4.1, this one

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=29-117-104&depa=0

is 12 and its a crap brand

but we didnt get that we just bought a sound blaster live 5.1 to replace the soundcard/modem on our gateway which we will put in the crap computer

Last edited:
The white slots are the PCI and then the big brown/black ones are the ISAs, so it should be fine in installing a newer PCI card, even though it is an older motherboard.

hey just thought I should mention if you have 1 of those old socket 7 boards with both SIMM and DIMM ram slots(white funny looking ram slots, and the regular brown/black ram slots) you CANNOT mix SIMM and DIMM ram because of voltage problems... the board will boot and work for a long while then youll smell something funny... it can mess up your board and countless other things... so beware of using both at once(unless you own 5 volt tolerant "samsung" chips yep they were good even in the olden days)

thats just for ram though right? i think it has 3 ram slots, or maybe 4, im not sure but i remember that when i opened it all up and i saw how many ram slots it had i was amazed

yes just for ram, I just thought Id throw it in there cause there have been many old machines that bit the dust because of this.

PCI cards all follow a standard. I remember older boards would also have ISA slots. The physical size and pin configuration are different, so there is no way to confuse them. I vote for Santa Cruz for sound card. In stores they are $79, but only they are $35 and are really great cards. Very underrated in my opinion. Make sure to get a real pci modem, not a winmodem, as the winmodems have a higher tendency to cause difficulties.

well we gave up on it, the sound card from our gateway wouldnt load with the drivers, kept getting errors and crap so where just gonna put windows 95 back on it(gotta get a disk from a friend) and sell it for 75

Anymore, saving a dying computer is not worth it with how cheap you can get newer/faster computers for. In some places you can get a 800Mhz processor/motherboard combo for like $80, man, a long way from the $360 price tag that PIII 450Mhz processors use to carry.

heh u can buy like a 2.5 ghz celeron mobo combo for around 100 at tiger direct

Back