• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i installed windowsmedia player 10 and...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zatrix

i got this new exe called wdfmgr.exe

i really hate it when new exes appear in my process list on start up.

is this a virus or part of media player?

if its part of media player can i get rid of it?

theres no need for it to start up.

hot damn google is amazing. what would you know, three seconds of clicking and typing got me this

Process File: wdfmgr or wdfmgr.exe
Process Name: Windows Driver Foundation Manager

Description:
wdfmgr.exe is part of Microsoft Windows media player 10 and above. This process decreases compatibility problems whilst the product is in use. This program is non-essential process to the running of the system, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems.

Why does M$ always add all these processes to take up system resources just for the sake of convinience? I hope longhorn has an option to strip down windows. Let me decide about my dependencies...

i doubt it will, but we can still pray

then again, you can opt to not install windows media player 10....

ever think of that? :D

i got rid of it because i dont need it and anything i dont need could be a virus.

i scan my computer 4 times before turning it off EVERY DAY.

thats how paranoid i am

i may be paranoid but atleast im 99% safe.

Absolute Zero said:
Why does M$ always add all these processes to take up system resources just for the sake of convinience? I hope longhorn has an option to strip down windows. Let me decide about my dependencies...

People use Windows precisely because it has those conveniences.

But since we are basically forced to use this operating system, I would like to have the option of stripping it down for speed instead of convinience. Believe me, I am capable of taking care of my own dependencies. If I couldn't, I should never be allowed to hold the #2 Phillips around a computer ever again.

But since we are basically forced to use this operating system

Less people are forced to use it than those who think they are forced to, I think.

4 times a day :confused: that seems like a waste to me the most i do is once or twice a week and it keeps my compy completely clean

I use Linux for everything except for the one thing I do the most on my computer, gaming. That is the single reason why I am forced to use Windows, and truth be told, the only reason it is installed in my computer.

well, hl2, cs:s, cs, hl, and the killer, halo. I can wine most of them, but the performance hit kills me. Literally, in CS.

On my gf2 ultra, I was able to run CS in wine around 90fps in 1024 with FSAA. I have a 5900FX now, it shouldn't be strenuous for me at all.

Halflife has always been a piece of cake for me in wine.

Back