• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Game Of The Year...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

YellowDart

Since '04 is coming to an end... and a lot of sites will be posting up their picks for GOTY w/in the next few months, I thought it might be kind of cool to see where all of you guys stand on it.

We all know that HL2 will most definitely be one of the front runners for it... and will very likely get it. While I'm really addicted to the SP game in HL2 (haven't beat it yet), I'd still like to see Far Cry get the recognition it deserves. I think it would be cool to see Far Cry win. Far Cry made some really cool contributions to the FPS genre w/ it's wide-open maps, the binoculars (actually serving a purpose), and the fact that it was just a great game overall.

I enjoyed Far Cry but not as much as I enjoyed HL2. HL2 kept me going just wanting to know what was going to happen around the corner. Far Cry held my interest for a little while but then I just got turned off by it. It could hold my attention. It did do many things for FPS but not enough for GOTY. I've seen Doom 3 and have read things that didn't really impress me to much. There are people who would tell you that EQII should be or WoW should be. It always seems that FPS get game of the year? Why is that, or am I wrong on this one?
My GOTY vote goes to HL2.

Doom 3 just seemed to staged for my liking from what I saw. The enviroment was very well created and I have to give them props for that, but it just sounds annoying I guess IMHO which isn't worth much.

^^^ I agree. If Doom 3 had the immersion that HL2 or FarCry had, then it could easily be a candidate. But the poor level design and the repetitious gameplay are what did that game in for me.

I'm loving every second of HL2 so far... I just got myself through Ravenholm. IMO, the Ravenholm was every bit as creepy as Doom 3... but with more varied action. There was also an element that made me want to get through it... Doom 3 really had none of that. I really didn't care what was around the next corner in Doom 3... or even really care that much about my character. In Ravenholm, all I was thinking is "OMG this place sucks... get me outta here!" lol Just goes to show what a great game can do to you!

I'm torn between FarCry and HL2 for my vote. I loved FarCry. It was one of the best SP games I've played. Ever. And when standing up to HL2, it holds its own... but this year, it's definitely the underdog.

unreal tournment 2004.

great graphics, great gameplay, so many modes of play it wont get repetitive until 2005 :)

then doom3, because it was exactly what it should have been, fun and scary.

I vote for HL2 for it's incredible engine, immersion, plot, and everything else in the game. Not only does it excel as a singleplayer game but its multiplayer aspect is awesome as well. I as well loved Far Cry but HL2 was just so much more fun IMO. Doom 3 was good @ first BUT now I cannot stand playing the damned thing and wish I would've picked it up now, since it's only 20 bucks not 60! Halo 2 was also very good IMO, I welcome all the new changes.

9mmCensor said:
unreal tournment 2004.

Quality game and definatly should get the credit it deserves.

I think it would do better if 2003 was never released, as 2004 is what 2003 should of been in the first place.

Anyways for me it would be between HL2, Far Cry and UT2004.

Nod would probably go to HL2. It really is a quality game, but Far Cry was as well, and UT2004 has a crazy amount of content.

HL2 had a good single player but what Multiplyer did it have??? None, so my vote doesnt go to it. CS:S isnt multiplyer for HL its totally diff for anyone who is ganna say that

ya i go doom 3 too that was good but it had its weak points, but what about halo2..can i vote that even though it isnt pc? it is a game!
....btw this thread needs a poll!!

CandymanCan said:
HL2 had a good single player but what Multiplyer did it have??? None, so my vote doesnt go to it. CS:S isnt multiplyer for HL its totally diff for anyone who is ganna say that

Well... CS:S is the only MP HL2 has... If you take into consideration... FarCry's multiplayer left a lot to be desired as well... only a step or two above Doom 3's imo.

Shawn123456 said:
ya i go doom 3 too that was good but it had its weak points, but what about halo2..can i vote that even though it isnt pc? it is a game!
....btw this thread needs a poll!!

I never considered limiting the platform for GOTY. Most mags and online sites don't limit it either. Halo 2 is an incredible game. Definitely there for consideration. It's easily my favorite game right now simply for the multiplayer. It does have its merits and cool new gameplay developments... most notably vehicle boarding and multiple teams in online matches. 4 flag CTF is insane.

As much as I love Halo 2, I doubt it will be considered. It'll probably win out best game for xbox... or even best console game. But with competition like HL2 and Far Cry, it'll be hard for Halo 2 to pull it out against those two... especially since a lot of what people gripe about w/ Halo 2 isn't as present in HL2 or FarCry.

Last edited:
CS:S isnt HL2's Multiplayer tho its a toally diff online game. remember the first HL2 it had multiplayer, then CS came out later on.

D3 and Farcry Multi sucks but at least they had it for the actuall game. Personlly after beating single player on all 3 games i just went back to Ut2k4 and BF1942: Forgotten Hope

Last edited:
I'm not sure why... but I think ppl tend to overlook MMORPG's because in many reviews and roundups I've read, it seems that the MMO scene has kind of stagnated... just like the RTS scene. The FPS dept has been a little stagnant up to the releases of HL2 and Halo 2... but neither of those games have really reinvented the way you play... It'll probably take an MMO game of that calibur to really take the spotlight from what the FPS genre has done over the past few years.

Half-Life 2 (featuring CS: Source as multiplayer :mad: )
FarCry
Unreal Tournament 2004

FarCry's MP was so pathetically lacking...it was sad.

2K4 is really what 2003 should've been, as stated above.

HL2's addictive plot, rendered environments and weapons really sell it to me. Just finished it, in fact. Most excellent.

OHHHHHHHHH, I almost forgot R:TW. Rome: Total War was an AWESOME RTS. The sheer amount of units, intricacy of combat as well as realism have affected the RTS game industry to the point that everygame is going to try to be more like it IMO. For example, look @ Battle for Middle Earth. R:TW definetly has the potential of being a Game of the Year, although it is overshadowed by a lot of other games, namely FPS' I would defiently nominate R:TW as a potential GOTY.

CandymanCan said:

Your reasoning doesn't make sense, as Doom 3 and Far Cry's multiplayer is crap.

So your not voting for HL2 just because it doesn't have it's own DM? even though other titles have MP, even if it's crap or not?

Doom 3. There are a lot of great games in 2004, but I think Doom 3 stands out because they put so much effort in creating a mood for the player. A lot of thought was put into making the game very immersive. So much detail was put into making the environment, that my mind easily accepted that I was really on a Mars marine/science base. While HL2 and Farcry were great games, I wasn't able to immerse myself into the environment as much. I felt, "here I am outside again in a computer-generated environment. Cool game." Doom3 didn't feel computer-generated at all.

Very organic.

How isn't CS:S HL2's multiplayer? It is a multiplayer game that you get when you purchase HL2. Why does it need to be deathmatch for it to be considered multiplayer?

Back