• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is SSE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TalRW

Gonna be blunt, what is SSE, I looked for it on webopedia couldn't find it, and I did a search on the forums and I also couldn't find it, lots of threads talked about it but none really say what it is. All I know is that it is a instruction set and that is it. Also if anyone cares to explain 3dnow I'm not gonna stop you.

SSE is an acronym for "Streaming SIMD Extensions". It's an Intel-sponsored extension to the x86 instruction set. SSE is like 3dNow! which is like MMX -- both are designed to aid multimedia operations by executing the same instruction on multiple data simultaneously. SIMD (Same Instruction Multiple Data) is, in effect, a drill sergeant. Sarge screames "Platoon! About...FACE!" and the entire platoon about-faces, instead of the already-irritable sergeant marching down the line and issuing the instruction to each soldier.

Back