• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheapest I can get a copy of Windows XP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

El-Scotto

Anyone know where I can pick up a cheap copy of XP? Got it for free from school but they no longer offer it, and i fear my hard drive will go so best to be prepared :p

maybe someone here works for microsoft and has the free hookup. my friends uncle works at microsoft and he said he will ask to get me an xp professional.

El-Scotto said:
Anyone know where I can pick up a cheap copy of XP? Got it for free from school but they no longer offer it, and i fear my hard drive will go so best to be prepared :p

You might be able to get a cheap copy of XP through your school's computer store or bookstore but this is assuming that your school is a college or university. Also, "cheap" is a relative term. My university sells XP for $110 CDN, so around $90 US, but this is still the best price where I live.
If not, then the best option would probably be Newegg.

why do you need another copy? i dont get it. if your hard drive goes, just reinstall on a new one

MLMIB said:
yea, 'n if u forgot ur cd key I think we're allowed to tell you how to save it(right, mods?)
There are legit ways like using an app that shows you your OS details (Everest and Rock XP)

Anyways, the cheapest way to get a new copy would be to order something like a floppy drive+an oem copy from newegg.

I was gunna say just google "jellybean" 'n maybe key and you'll get a nice little proggy that'll dig it up

Ok, here is a legal copy IF you are a student.

Home OEM

PRO OEM

Pro Academic Upgrade Version

The first two are full versions. The last one requires you to have a Win2K, Home full or Win98 (I think, Not sure about 98) install you are upgrading or the CD from one of the above. I have the last one. My Wife got it for me from Newegg a while ago. It is a great deal.

Tatuya said:
There are legit ways like using an app that shows you your OS details (Everest and Rock XP)

Anyways, the cheapest way to get a new copy would be to order something like a floppy drive+an oem copy from newegg.

Not true if you are a student. If you are go for the Academic version.

Some of you might now that Windows MCE is the same as Pro, it justs adds "The Green Button" and that is the only difference. At pne point I saw MCE for as low as 125.00. Just go to pricewatch and do a search.

Sorry I should clarify what I said, my school used to like rent out the Windows XP cd's, and on the back they had keys on them but we would have to return the cd to them after like a week. So i know longer have access to the cd. Wasnt sure if some places sold it for a lot cheaper than other places though, anyways thanks for all the info :)

edited by sss TISK TISK, You know better, even in jest ;) . Cheapest I have seen software is on Newegg, they have a sale on Windows XP like every week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back