• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6800 bios flashing questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shuiends

I got the PNY 6800 from compusa and it runs like a champ. So I startin workin on the overclocking and got 390/785. I am very very happy with those speeds with the card. I also got the extra 4 pipes opened in rivatuner. Or at least it says i did. Now my question is how do I flash the bios to keep those pipes open? I know how to flash it with my speeds and will be doing that tommorow but i really want those pipes open with the flash to. The reason is that I use linux about 70% of the time and want them unlocked there. So is it possible to unlock them from a bios flash?

I have no idea if this is true or not, but couldn't you just flash it to a 6800 GT bios that uses all 16 pipes? Just adjust that bios to your speeds and your set. You may also have to change things like ram timmings if the cards use different ram, but I really don't know.

Yup it will work, flashing it to an GT bios. Just make sure you set the clock speeds to your card.
Also always keep an PCI card handy in case it doesn't work.

Ok I will be flashing to the GT bios later today. First question though is I am going to use an Asus bios instead of PNY because PNY dosent have a 128MB GT. Is that ok? I have read people posting that it will work but I just want to make sure. Also if messes up the bios and it wont boot I just put in the pci vid card and boot off that and reflash the bios on the 6800 right? I just want to make sure I know howto save my card before I go out and try killing it.

OK I was looking at the diffrences between my edited bios and the default asus bios. In the VPGU section of the asus bios Thrtl has no vaule and I canot put one in. In my edited bios I have a value of 1.2v there. Will that be a problem flashing the card? Also the Device Name just says NVIDIA 6800 GT on the asus bios. I can just change my old bios to say gt and would that work with unlocking the pipes?

Last edited:
I have the exact same card from the same place :D
what is the stock voltage and what is the voltage in the bios flash?
also, can you post before/after benchies and a link to the biois??

thanks,
-d94

Ok so I went and tried the Asus bios and it failed. Next i edited my original bios and changed it from a 6800 to a 6800 GT. When I try to flash it i get the following error
Adapter: Geforce 6800 (40DE,0041,0000,0000) b:01,AGP,D,:00,f:00
Warning: Firmware image PCI Device ID (10DE.0045)
does not match adapter PCI Device ID (10DE.0041)
Error: GPU mismatch

I get the same error with the Asus bios but it has more warnings. So how do I get the gt bios to flash correctly.

I downgraded my nvflash to 4.42 like the sticky says to use. When I used the - -u -2 options I got my "GT" bios to flash. When i reboot though it still says its a 6800 and dosent enable to extra 4 pipes on its own. So what do I do next?

Last edited:
Ok any one have any other solutions to this problem? I really would like these extra 4 pipes and the extra vertex shader working in linux.

Problem is our cards are hardware locked so you have to mod the board and i found a sticky in another forum on how its done.Ill post back i have to find it again since i lost the link.Ok i found it here if you do this let us know how it turns out im just not brave enough to try it and im waiting onEvga to get me a 6800GT for the step up program which is on back order.
http://www.pcunleash.com/bbs/zboard.php?id=MyItemReview&no=39

Last edited:
I used the evga bios and yah it now says my card is a GT but it is still locked. Gigabit I had seen that post on the hardmod and was hoping I didnt have to do that to get those pipes unlocked. I am going to email the guy who wrote that and ask him what are the chances of success since I know the pipes can be unlocked fine. Also is it possible to revert back after doing it and such. The problem is that though PNY were stupid and put a big sticker over the points that need to be soldered that voids ur warrenty to remove em. Thanks to CandyManCan and gigabit for the info you guys have helped me out alot.

Your welcome.If the pipe were software masked it would be no problem.But anyway i saw something were unwinder RT's builder is releasing a patch script to remove the hardware mask this will allow the bios to unlock the pipes.But i might have miss read this.Im not sure how the patch scripts work.i need to read up on this some more.

Gigabit do you know where I could find that scirpt or more info on it at?
I am still hesitant to start soldering my card

Yeah ill get it to you but i have to it find again..lolBut its in the Guru3d.com forums.Unwinder told me in a pm he sent to me that the new RT will be out the end of december as a new years gift.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?threadid=110067

Thats a link I found at guru3d about my question. In there Unwinder posts a couple of scripts but I have no clue how to use them or which one to use. I have seriously looked at the hardmod but I believe it is slightly above what my soldering skills can do. If I ddint have to worry about the resister I would go for it but I dont believe I can do the reasister with out messing it up big time. Also after removing my sticker to even see those bridges my warrenty is fully gone so I dont want to mess this card up.

Hmm yeah thats the thread i was speaking of But you know your voiding your warranty Overclocking and softmodding they would never take it back if the new how we OC and softmodded them.

Dude patch script is easy to use just c:/riva tuner open patch scripts find the nv40 swsomething script and drag you bios file to that folder click on the pacth script and then it will do its thing

lol yes i knew softmod voided it to but i can easily return it to compusa with that sticker still on if soemthin had gone wrong . "UM yah it fried or somethin, just wouldnt work this morning when I turned on my comp" I pretty sure that would have worked at compusa. Also havin friends workin there is nice. LoL

Right now I am trying to figure out which script to use to unlock the pipes.
http://www16.brinkster.com/uripui/6800le.txt
Shows a nice diagram that im workin on. Its very confusing to me but working through slowly and I will get it eventually

"Create text file called NV4xBIOSHwUnitsMaskEliminator.rts with the following contents:

quote:

[Common]
SrcFile = *.rom
BakFile = %filename%.old

PlugIns = ,BIOSChecksumGenerator

Src0 = 5F 10 C0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 20 C0 00 00 00 00 00 00
SCM0 = FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 00 00 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
Dst0 = 5F 10 C0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 20 C0 00 00 00 00 00 00

Then simply execute it via RivaTuner and it will make required changes in any NV4x BIOS image's initialization script to disable hardware units mask activation."
Do you know if that the correct scirpt to enable everything. Also do you know if I replace the Srcrom = *.rom with my bioses name?

Back