• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Better ping?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr

Im getting sick and tired of bad ping in UT2004. My clan and I just got a server, and I get around 100 ping (Cant stand it, I play LAN 24/7). Is there anyway I can get 70 or lower? Cause, I cant boost my connection cause im in a rural area, I have a measly 26Kb a sec upstream. Is there anyway I can fidle with the game to get better ping? Thanks, I'd really appreciate it.

Last edited:
to get a better ping
- get a better connection
- pick servers close to your geographical location
- kill apps that consume bandwidth

See, thats the problem. For our clan, we have the server in Dallas, Texas and I live in California. We have about 10ppl on the east coast and about 10 people on the west coast with a few Euros. So, there is NO way I can get better ping without physically boosting my connection? Thanks again. Oh btw, I run Spybot, Adware, and I dont have any programs running in the background that consume any kind of bandwidth.

are there any cvars in ut2004 dealing with the packet information sent between you and the server? if so lowering that will lower your ping

Um, if you suffer from 100 ping, you must suck at UT2004, sorry to say it. Up to 300 is perfectly acceptable, 100 is half of the pinnacle neural response time. Your physical response time is somewhere between 250-500 on average.

You can play fine on a .5 meg connection, as long as your location to your ISP's closest node isn't too bad, and the wiring is in good condition. Also, some ISPs have better connections to backbones.

Bensa said:
Um, if you suffer from 100 ping, you must suck at UT2004, sorry to say it. Up to 300 is perfectly acceptable, 100 is half of the pinnacle neural response time. Your physical response time is somewhere between 250-500 on average.

You can play fine on a .5 meg connection, as long as your location to your ISP's closest node isn't too bad, and the wiring is in good condition. Also, some ISPs have better connections to backbones.

300 is terrible, and completely unacceptable to anyone who really takes any games seriously, and i think about 95% of people would 100% totally agree with me on that.

as for the original post... there is no other way to improve your connection other then physically getting a better connection. sorry, but it's just the cold hard truth.

My usual UT2004 server, I ping about 220. Yet I still can headshot a person before I even notice them.

http://www.e-z.net/~ts/reaction.htm, the usual person has a response time of 250ms when prepared.

Also, if were at all a hardcore player, you wouldn't be playing online, you would be driving to meet other top clans.

If you want the best response times, remove the network lag, and your brain aswell, its the second slowest thing in the system, the other being your hand. Your connection is faster than your brain, hows that?¨

Edit: Also, don't confuse me with being arrogant, I am just trying to explain that you could be improving in other areas, since in the end, your connection is not the most important.

Last edited:
Your response time only adds on top of the ping, it doesn't overwrite it.

What that means is someone with a 50ms ping and a 250ms response time is going to receive the data at 50ms and then react at 300ms. Someone with a 150ms ping and a 200ms response time is going to receive the data at 150ms and react at 350ms.

Leviathan41 said:
Your response time only adds on top of the ping, it doesn't overwrite it.

What that means is someone with a 50ms ping and a 250ms response time is going to receive the data at 50ms and then react at 300ms. Someone with a 150ms ping and a 200ms response time is going to receive the data at 150ms and react at 350ms.

And yet it makes no difference if the other person has 300 ping and you have zero, if he is a better tactician/all around in the game.

Only thing you can do normally to lessen your ping is to change ISP. :-/

the difference between 70 and 100 is not even noticeable so I wouldn'y worry about it. If something flew by your face at 100ms (i know thats not a real speed but you know what I mean) and hen something flew by at 70 ms you wouldnt be able to tell the difference. Its like the FPS thing with ppl wanting 200 FPS instead of 175 FPS when you cant tell the difference...

I find having a constant ping is important. If its jumping around or fluctuating, it sucks. I'd rather have 100 rock solid stable than 70, that has a 20% fluctuation.

Bensa said:

Umm anything over 150 for me and the game starts to Pause and jerk a little bit at least on Ut2k4.

I always pick a server where the people in it have a ping lower then 100, cuss if everyone's ping is higher then about 130 or so then that server will be laggy. I play on Cains Lair on ONS all the tiem and my ping is like 16-30

9mmCensor said:
I find having a constant ping is important. If its jumping around or fluctuating, it sucks. I'd rather have 100 rock solid stable than 70, that has a 20% fluctuation.
Yeah, excellent point. If you have a constant ping you will be used to it and will automatically adjust.

The great thing about being in the uk and playing uk servers is great ping time`s.
Without you getting a faster connection im stumped?did you mean 26KB/s or 26Kb/s?

Robrules18 said:
the difference between 70 and 100 is not even noticeable so I wouldn'y worry about it. If something flew by your face at 100ms (i know thats not a real speed but you know what I mean) and hen something flew by at 70 ms you wouldnt be able to tell the difference. Its like the FPS thing with ppl wanting 200 FPS instead of 175 FPS when you cant tell the difference...

You wouldn't even be able to notice the thing, you would just think you are hallucinating. :thup:

Bensa said:

Are you kidding me? With 300 ping, there is packet loss, its just as bad as an 4k modem. Since I play LAN all the time, 100 ping is terrable. My shots are delayed to the point I cant aim. Well, if you say I suck, lets go 1vs1 :p. Anyways, 100 ping to me is unacceptable, every1 has there different playing modes. 300 ping is ok for mech warrier, stradegy games, and etc, but NOT ut2004.

Back