• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help on Corsair RAM Limits for Overclock!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

achaye

Registered
Ok so here's my dilemma, I couldn't spare the money for any better RAM so I got the Corsair Value Select ones. Even though they aren't the overclocker's choice, I hear that they can handle small overclocks.

Here is the system that I will have in 2 weeks or so, as I shipped it back home instead of where I reside for college:

Athlon 64 3500+, 2.2GHz 1600MHz Winchester Core, Socket 939 Processor (model ADA3500BIBOX)

MSI "K8N Neo2 Platinum" NVIDIA nForce3 ULTRA Chipset Motherboard (model MS-7025-010) for AMD socket 939

Corsair Value Select (Dual Pack) 184 Pin 512MBx2 DDR PC-3200 (model VS1GBKIT400, dual channel memory, 2.5 cas latency)

Aspire X-Dreamer II(Black) ATX Mid-Tower Case with 350W Power Supply (model ATXB4KLW-BK/350)

Thermalright XP-90 Heatsink

Panaflo H1B 92x92x25mm fan for CPU (model FBA09A12H), 56.8cfm

This will actually be the first time I've tried overclocking a system, but I'm not ill-informed of the technicalities nor procedures of the process; what I do lack is experience.

So, my question is, if I want to keep my system at 1:1 FSB:RAM, at what theoretical yield can the Corsair Value Select (which has a latency of 2.5-2.5-2.5-5 I believe) handle? If it can handle something like a 20MHz increase (which I doubt, but after much research it seems that RAM is quite robust against heat, though not completely unaffected) from DDR400 to DDR440, is this better than having a 5:4 ratio of 250MHz FSB: 200MHz RAM?

Or basically, is keeping the ratio at 1:1 at the sacrifice of lower multiplied CPU speed, better than asynchronizing the ratio to something like 5:4 but higher CPU multiplied speed? Because I've read in forums and articles that for Athlon 64s on s939 boards, the architecture of the CPU makes it such that snug timings are far more important than retaining a 1:1 ratio (whereas for Intel chips because they work on a x4 FSB multiplier, loose timings won't hinder it too much).

Second, does anyone have any experience with the Corsair Value Select series? Such as how much one can overclock that while keeping stability? The Panaflo CPU fan and hopefully all the tower case fans will keep the interior regulated to dissipate RAM heat as well.

corsair should be 2.5-3-3-8, if i'm not mistaken.

async doesn't really hurt the performance on A64, since mem speed is derived from CPU speed. If you have to use a different memory divider, go ahead.

Depends on the IC's that the Corsair use. I've gotten them up to about 220, 2.7v, stock timings. That was some time ago, so maybe they've gotten better.

Back