• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can't boot from scsi

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The masterless newbie

Registered
So, I got an old 70GB Seagate Cheetah ST173404LW from my uncle, along w/ an Adaptec controller card.

For some reason, however, I can't seem to boot from it. I imaged my old hard drive onto the Seagate, shut down, moved my IDE drives to IDE Channel 1, booted, disabled Channel 0 in Bios. And that's it.

Right after I get to Verifying VMI pool data, my comp reboots. Over and over again.

I checked in the SCSI controller utility: the controller is set to id 7, the seagate to id 4... I can't seem to change it. The jumper settings on the drive are set to id 0... but the id remains 4 in utility.

I'm running this on the rig in my signature.. nVIDIA nforce3 250gb chipset.

Any clues/help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I would check in your BIOS - there should be an option to tell it to boot from off-board chipsets (ie the controller card) first. Or look at the boot order settings, one of the options should let you boot from SCSI first.

The boot device should still be hard disk0 be it scsi or ide and it would still need to be an active partition to boot.Do not disable hd0 but instead unplug the ide for the first boot and check to see if there is boot other device enabled in bios, and scsi is in the boot oder.The drivers would need to be loaded as well.Many scsi card drivers are loaded by default,but if not you will need to reinstall and press f6 to load them.

Back