• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How are these temps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rack04

The reason I am asking is because I am debating on switching my current low noise/cfm fans for something with higher noise/cfm, but only if my cooling is inadequate.

Case
Kingwin KT-424-BK-WM
2 front Panaflo L1A 80mm intakes
1 rear Panaflo L1A 80mm exhaust
1 top Panaflo L1A 80mm blowhole
1 rear 80mm exhaust from power supply

Processor
Lapped Thermalright SP-97
Panaflo 92mm H1B
AS 5 thermal compound

Video Card
VGA Silencer Rev. 3
Vantec copper ramsinks
AS 5 thermal compound

Mobo
Vantec Iceberg copper NB cooler
Vantec copper SB heatsink
AS 5 thermal compound

Case: 22-27 degrees C
CPU: 35 degrees C idle, 47 degrees C full load
Video Card: 60 degrees C idle, 67 degrees C full load

I have noticed a substantial decrease in idle and load temps with the side panel off, which leads me to believe that I don't have adequate case airflow.

Load is a little high- but otherwise those are some nice temps using only 80mm fans man

By the way, very few cases benefit from having their side panel on. It's almost impossible to have perfect case airflow

I would take one of the front intake fans out and use it as side intake directly opposite you cpu this reduced my cpu temp by 4*c. You will have to dremmel your side panel. For me it was the 4*c same reduction as leaving the side panel off. I also have mine ducted to just above the cpu fan.
I also use 80mm fans. I did not see any benefit as far as temp reduction went from using a front intake fan as mine only rotate at 2800rpm. Larger fans at a similar speed would be more beneficial without the increase in noise.

Sounds like you should mess around with the intakes/exhausts until you find the sweet spot for airflow. Maybe make the blowhole as intake? Or maybe instead eliminating the blowhole fan?
You could always try ducting the CPU, that does a really good job of dropping temps...:)

As soon as I purchased the case I removed all fan grills and replaced them with less restrictive guards. Room temp according to thermostat is 75 degrees F (24 degrees C).

PB290091.jpg

PB290094.jpg

PB290098.jpg

16822.jpg

16823.jpg

Last edited:
AH, pix...

Can you get that ATX main feed line moved from your HS fans air path?

Do you get better temps with the front bezel off? Leaving side panel on.

Might be that the HS needs a high pressure fan on it...If your system(case/mobo) temps are true..ie, accuracy of sensor.

How much noise are you wiiling to put up with for lower temps?

archilochus said:
AH, pix...

Can you get that ATX main feed line moved from your HS fans air path?

Do you get better temps with the front bezel off? Leaving side panel on.

Might be that the HS needs a high pressure fan on it...If your system(case/mobo) temps are true..ie, accuracy of sensor.

How much noise are you wiiling to put up with for lower temps?

I get better temps with the side panel off. I have never run the system with the front bezel off, I just did that to show that the fan grills are removed. I don't want too much more noise, though I have thought about going with higher cfm case fans to circulate more air inside the case.

I'm curious how much restriction the front bezel is putting on your current intake fans..

The goal is to try and improve your setup without spending money, first..Also to get you to think..What if,,I turn this around and so on..

If the front bezel is to restrictive new fans won't help much without alot of extra noise.

Were you able to move the ATX wiring out of the HS's fan, air path?

As far as CPU temperatures go, check out this. Also you will see in there why I recomend you read via the CPU core, not the CPU socket temperature.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=329015

Try to keep your temps a little lower than what I say in that sticky as newer CPU's are slightly less tolerant, and I wouldn't want to deal with a lawsuit. ;)

Back