• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Let's start a petition to fire AMD PR and Marketing staff

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Should most of AMD PR and Marketing staff be fired?

• Yes

Votes: 50 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 25 33.3%

• Total voters

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Mike Magee has an article out called "AMD fails to capitalise on technology wins". It mentions some of the things Stroligo's been talking about for quite some time.

AMD's PR and marketing team needs a swift kick in the butt, don't you think?

"AMD hasn't announced publicly any 90 nanometre products for three months. AMD's explanation is that the products perform "exactly like the 130 nanometre processors they replace" and go in the same sockets, so an announcement wasn't important."

[...]

"Intel's Prescott at 90 nanometres runs slower and needs up to 25% more power than the Northwood it replaced. But the AMD Winchester is 84 square millimetres compared to the 130 nanometre 145 square millimetre "Newcastle" core, and consumes only 67 watts compared to 89 watts. The Prescott, on the other hand, is 112 square millimetres for a chip that can consume 103 watts.
"

Last edited:
AMD really is their own worst enemy. the hammer is a awsome design in terms of speed, and now theyre running cooler then Pentiums. however the average consumer still thinks that amds are slower and prone to catch fire. (im not kidding, ive talked to many customers who think this)

tomchong said:
AMD really is their own worst enemy. the hammer is a awsome design in terms of speed, and now theyre running cooler then Pentiums. however the average consumer still thinks that amds are slower and prone to catch fire. (im not kidding, ive talked to many customers who think this)

What can they do though?

Churn loads of crap advertising and try to brainwash all the people who don't know any better.

It is anoying though, the majority of people's knowledge of AMD and Intel.

I really think if AMD put some solid effort into marketing on TV, magazines and otherwise, they could really make inroads. No, the AMD ME stuff does not count.

They need to talk about their speed, their lower power, their cost effectiveness (part depending yes, but the value is still there in some areas). Maybe even push their 64bit stuff a bit.

c627627 said:
"Intel's Prescott at 90 nanometres runs slower and needs up to 25% more power than the Northwood it replaced. But the AMD Winchester is 84 square millimetres compared to the 130 nanometre 145 square millimetre "Newcastle" core, and consumes only 67 watts compared to 89 watts. The Prescott, on the other hand, is 112 square millimetres for a chip that can consume 103 watts."

AMD 90nm: 84mm², 67w
Intel 90nm: 112mm², 103w

And still outperform Pentiums significantly faster than them.

wtf.gif
Go AMD.
wtf.gif

Sorry, slightly off topic....but damn.

Marketing can only do so much especially for tech savvy people, the rest would not know wtf .90nm process is. In any event AMD's reputation and perception is changing, it just takes some time for everyone to catch on.

Keep in mind, the prescott has an extra 20 million transistors. And IBM was nice to AMD they let them use SOI. For Intel to use SOI, IBM wants Patents instead of money. Intel's trigate should be good in times like this

Isn't Dell supposed to be selling some AMD based machines soon? Once AMD can get larger companies purchasing products they should not have a problem with marketing. If people see Dell selling them, they won't care so much about AMD or Intel, many just care that it says Dell. Unfortunately, the way the market works is that the best product does not always make the most money, sure AMD could use some better marketing, but the people who work there are probably top notch harvard and yale graduates... ;)

Matt

I think they should push the better gaming performance, this is an important thing for the younger consumers, I told my friend about the athlons being faster at the same clocks, and that it was much cheaper (xp's) and so were the mobos and were stable systems, nothing did it until I told him that it gave better gaming performance, and they will live longer if you know what I mean.

well they would pass teh marketting cost ontp us and prety soon they'll endup w/ hgh prices like intel.

I think what they're doing is walking softly whilst carrying a big sstick!!

the bottom line is this: AMD chips are cheaper, consumers want cheap computers, everything will take care of itself.

I do think they need to keep the enthaisiasts more inform though, liek letting us know what's going on. That would surely attract more builders and create a good relationship w/ builders

A mod can add a poll after a thread is started. Or he's a h4x0r'd teh b0x3n!

Online Petitions are dumb - no one cares about them. No one cares about the PR scheme either - mdcomp nailed it with what most consumers care about. The popular consumer brand uses "what" the most? That is what they perceive as better.

Any 90nm public announcements would have fallen on deaf ears also IMO, save for some people around this community (general, not OCF-centric). The marketing people are probably intelligent for realizing that this doesn't mean anything to more than 1% of their market share and that it wasn't worth their time. I'm sure people have been communicating this information in deals and negotiations though. However I don't see where a press release would accomplish anything.

Just my thoughts. As an enthusiast however, it is aggravating to not see this sort of stuff announced and to see what appears to be chances to capitalize being squandered.

If Intel ever swallows its pride and puts out a highend Chipset for Pentium M...
AMD is SOL and will lose this leading possition they have now.

Pentium M is faster Mhz per MHz than Athlon 64
Pentium M is also much cooler.

He seems to have forgot to mention that

I dunno, I'd feel more loyalty to AMD if i knew more about the SS situation and when the 90nm mobiles would be hitting the stores etc.

but then again i guess it would stop sales because everyone woudl wait. however, if they mad eteh announcement after that would encourage sales so....

Captain Newbie said:
Well, I'm doing my part as an AMD-evangelist. Every computer I build and sell is powered by some type of Athlon.

Yeah, fire the PR crew.

Has it anything todo with the fact they are CHEAP?
AMD always does well with the Build it yourself market, its hard to beat the price/preformace. Even since they bought NextGen (K6) they have had good CPU's for the price/preformance

Last edited:
Back