• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Changed to Linux today!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kris

Got fed up with micrsoft :mad: . So I swiched to linux today. Its a little different to navigate in but I seem to be adjusting well. I was wondering what a good fire wall would be? All of my past experince is with windows stuff.
Thanks

Depends on your distro, but linux has a firewall built in. You most likely have "iptables". Do "man iptables" for some info. If you don't have it, it will give an error.

Kris said:
Running Suse 9.1 personel

I read somewhere that SuSE has a built-in firewall. I've never used SuSE for more than a few minutes on a school PC, so I don't know what the case is exactly.

The way you worded your question tells me that these are a few things you should know:

Unlike Winbloze, Linux has almost everything installed. For example, most distributions include compilers, word processors, multiple web browsers, games, FTP clients, web servers, etc. Gentoo and Debian include almost any project that you could find on freshmeat through their package managers.

You can't really defragment in Linux because you're normally using either ext3 or ReiserFS, which are really efficient.

Hardly anyone uses Linux, so there is no spyware for Linux.

While they exist, I never install firewalls or antivirus software for Linux.

If you never use the root account, a virus will be able to do little, and a cracker who hacks into your PC will not be able to do much until he runs a password cracker to crack your root account.

If you don't like KDE (the desktop environment), you should try Ubuntu, which is an easy distro that comes with GNOME. If you're just not used to the filesystem structure (/bin, /boot, /etc) and the terminal, KDE's fine.

Table of Equivalents

I use the firestarter as my firewall interface. It has a gui for firewall configuration. It is simple and yet very effective. All my ports are listed as stealth. They just release a new version.

To configure your firewall,,,
>Start YAST and supply root password
>Security and Users section
>Firewall - it starts a wizard
>Make your selections as appropriate

I am behind a firewall already, so I have none of the features enabled.

arrgg I used linux cause I didn't have an OS yet. I liked it but it couldn't run my games.(d*** M$ with thier anti-other-os software)

Back