• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

20-pin psu on a 24-pin atx connector mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DamienKC

Basically I need to know if my Fortron 530W (20-pin) will work properly on the Abit AG8 (24-pin). If so, hwo do I need to plug it in?

thanks!

Yes it will work. The instruction manual shows how to plug it in. Basically you leave 4 pins unplugged.

For a very small amount of money, you can buy an adapter to convert from a 20 pin plug to 24 pin board. I'd imagine that those extra power legs are there for a reason.

MikeyLikesItSI said:
For a very small amount of money, you can buy an adapter to convert from a 20 pin plug to 24 pin board. I'd imagine that those extra power legs are there for a reason.

yep, that's what i did for my system.

MikeyLikesItSI said:

the power adapters they sale for this are not worth the $6 they sell for, all they do is arrange your 20 pin connector for you, which you could do by just plugging the connector all the way towards the bottom of socket.

there are no extra wires on the adapter connecters they sell ! and the extra 4 wires on the 24-pin p/s is for extra power to the pci-express bus.

Scream'n'Demon said:
the power adapters they sale for this are not worth the $6 they sell for, all they do is arrange your 20 pin connector for you, which you could do by just plugging the connector all the way towards the bottom of socket.

there are no extra wires on the adapter connecters they sell ! and the extra 4 wires on the 24-pin p/s is for extra power to the pci-express bus.

is there anything wrong with paying for $6 to increase power to the pci-e bus?

I beg to differ. My DFI 875P-T board is a 775 socket on a 875 chipset. No PCI-e, but still has the 24 pin connector. I didn't try to start the board up with the four pins open. I hacked apart an old ATX connector and took the pins i needed and spliced it into the main connector. I wanted to play it safe and purchased the necessary adapter anyway. Either way, those pins are there for a reason, and are integrated and utilized by the motherboard. i would NOT suggest running the computer with those open pins unless the mobo manufacturer states that it is completely harmless.

Well if it's in the manual, then it should be safe, otherwise i get a free RMA.

Back