• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Setting up new Asus A8V AMD 3000+ having problems of course.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dachy

So im putting together my system and it's an older board so I have to flash the bios. I have the memory stick in b1 and it's starting up and everything but when i try to boot from floppy all i see is a blinking: " _ " . i can't type anything.. pretty sure it's frozen. so i try booting from my xp boot disk.. it does all the pre setup stuff then asks me if i want to set up, repair or exit. i say exit because i want to just get it booted and then flash the bios and THEN install xp. my system specs are:

AMD 64 3000+
Asus A8V Deluxe
Raptor 74 gig
ocz dual channel memmory 2x 512mb
and new lite on floppy, dvd rom, and cd rw....

is there another boot disk i can download to try or what?

Also while it's booting up it says "BIOS Not Installed"

so taking the advice from someone i went and put the new 1007 bios on a floppy disk.. renamed it A8V.ROM and put it in, during POST i hit alt+f2 and i get this:

checking floppy...
floppy not found!
checking for cd-rom...
cd-rom not found!

so is my floppy drive not being read or what? i know the bios is seeing my cd rw and dvd roms. i'm not so sure about the floppy drive... this is so frustrating!

Its a BIOS issue, your BIOS arent the newest which support the Winchester core. All 3000+s are winchesters and need BIOS flash to work properly

yeah i figured that much out but im unable to flash the bios... according to the people i've spoken to, with the memory in slot b1 im able to run the computer so i can flash the bios..(and i am able to run it) but im not able to booot from a floppy, or anything like that.. i dont mean to be rude but please read my post again, it explains what happened.. unless it's unclear in which case i'll try explain it better :(

so is there any explanation to why it just stops at a blinking " _ " after boot up? i cant get it to boot from any boot disk or the xp cd so i can flash the bios.

Follow the procedure outlined here:-
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=332591

If the link doesn't work here it is:-
Q. Oh no! I dont have a spare CPU and I don't want to pay an extra $25 am I stuck now?
A. Fortunately there is a way around this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsmack74@ Anandtech
You can use a 90nm socket 939 chip to get it booted and flashed. You just have to do two things.
1. Reset the bios cmos. This is to ensure that the board boots from a floppy first.
2. Most importantly make sure you have only one stick of ram in mobo and make sure that stick is in B1 slot. Third from the left I believe. Check the motherboard manual for a graphic layout of the motherboard and it will show which slot is B1.

Start the computer, boot from a bootable floppy, then use another floppy with the new bios and the AFUdos.exe program on it, not ezflash.

Then type at the A prompt:

afudos.exe /ia8v1007.ami

It will erase, then write your bios.

Restart and go to bios and configure as you like. You may now put in additional sticks of ram to get dual channel.

Works here just fine. This is the procedure for the Asus A8V I do not know if this will work in other motherboards, but I have heard similar stories of using one stick to get it up. My guess would be the only thing that needs to change for a different board would be the flash program and bios ofcourse.

The 1007 version of the BIOS supports Winchesters. You might want to try the 1009.003 beta instead. Better than the 1008. You need not do any renaming! Leave the BIOS file as it is. If its a non-beta version, the file ends with a <.ami> .If its a beta its something else. Don't worry about that. Should work.

*PS You can't use the XP CD or boot if the BIOS is non-functional.

Good Luck!

Back