• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9800 "Atlantis" ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

guppie

I am looking into getting a new video card and went to PriceWatch.com for 9800 Pro... I know to stay away from the "SE" models, but can someone please tell me what the heck "ATLANTIS" means? Alot of vendors have written in the description that it has replaced "PRO"??? Is this right?

I'm looking for the best price on a 9800 Pro. Does 256MB really make a huge difference over 128MB memory? As long as its 256-bit, right?

I currently have 9600 Pro 128MB. Is it worth upgrading now or wait till after first quarter of 2005 and hope prices drop a bit more after holidays? I'm really only playing - JO:Typhoon Rising and SW:Battlefront and maybe HL2. Don't have any intention on playing Doom3.

Atlantis, in my eyes, is not much different from a regular Pro. And most people think that the extra 128mb don't make much difference in current games, except maybe Doom3, which has ridiculous graphic memory requirements. And I would also suggest waiting for the price drop. I'm not too knowledged in the area of... "holiday shopping," but I would expect them to drop a bit, if not much.

But there happens to be a decent price difference between the two cards, a 9800Pro running at $180, the 6600GT at $240. So they're in budget classes of their own.

I thought that the atlantis was the castrated 9800 pro that only has a 128 bit memory interface instead of the normal 256 bit. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

just remember the 6600gt is a pci express card and not agp...

On edit: the atlantis has 256bit memory, but i dont know much more about them...

well ill be darned, i thought they were just doing the pci express with the 6600. Don't listen to me, lol.

I also was looking at the 256mb version of the 9800 Pro, which is a good card, but a little outdated.

I instead decided to go with the XFX GeForce 6600GT. It blows away the 9800Pro 128mb/256mb as well as the 9800XT, for about the same price.

If I were you, I'd go with the 6600GT. It's the midrange card at the moment.

Whichever you decide STAY AWAY FROM THE ATLANTIS!! The card only has a 128-bit memory interface which hinders it a lot. If you're going to get a 9800 card get a 9800pro 128mb

deception`` said:

Doont forget 6600 GT $239.99 with free 2 day shipping

But the "9800 Atlantis" .. Just like the city this card will sink.

core speed 325 9800pro are normaly 380 and the memory is 290x2 whan the normal 9800pro is 340x2.

Its a gimpped card they want you to think is great. If your think of this card and a real 9800pro is out of your price range get a 9600xp.

6600gt

6600GT its great. Got it today from newegg and I almost had a heart attack. 60X faster than my 5700LE and image quality you cant even compare between the 2. the 9800pro wont last you long especially the old archetectuire so that brings you to a 6600GT :santa:

Back