• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1GB DDR sticks - need some advice, if you don'tmind...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JPS

Here is the deal. Recently upgraded from NF2 system where I was running 2x512MB of Kingston HyperX PC4000 at 235MHz FSB with fairly tight timings. I am now in a Soltek NF3 board that is single channel with only 2 memory slots - still running at 230MHz. Now, I gave one of the HyperX sticks to my father so that he could upgrade from an aging Pentium 200 :eek: to an Athlon XP system (thank you mobile XPs!).

I want to get back to at least 1GB of RAM in my rig and potentially 2GB in 3 months. Why, b/c I use my workstation for software development/compiles - and I mean use it alot - every night for several hours, not to mention testing during the day.

The Soltek NF3 mobo I am on is single channel with only 2 slots. So I will need 1GB sticks of DDR. Now, here are my questions...

1) Is there any advantage to paying for 1GB sticks of PC3200 (or higher) vs PC2700. Yes, I will push/overclock the RAM if possible (just not to the extent that it introduces errors in my compiles).

2) Could I just as easily run quality PC2700 1Gb sticks and see performance that is close to the PC3200?

Reason I am asking is that if I been looking for 1GB sticks of PC3200 and they are not easy to come by or inexpensive (I will sell my HyperX to offset the cost). So far I have found Corsair (in various flavors), OCZ (in various flavors), Patriot/PDP (value RAM), and Mushkin (in various flavors).

3) Who else makes good quality 1GB sticks of either PC2700 or PC3200 DDR?

- AND -

4) Where in the hell can I buy them - ZipZoomFly and Newegg seem to have limited selections at best?

Thanks in advance!

Back