• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible Powersupply Problem (bad smell)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ewalk123

I recently put together a new system (see sig). Everything seems to be running ok. There is a fairly noticable "electronic smell" coming from the powersupply. The smell seems to be more apparent under CPU load. Is this normal for a new PSU?

Also, another strange thing that is happening is when I turn the master power switch on the PSU off, then back on, my fan controller (sunbeam) and all my fans turn on. The system does not boot until I press the power button on the case though. odd.

Should I RMA the PSU? Or wait to see if the smell goes away after it is broken in a bit?

Thanks.

Hey ewalk just wondering where you ordered most of your parts from (we live right next to each other)? Mostly NCIX.com and Vibecomputers.com or where?

The best part (or one of them :p) about building a new PC is the nice smell of warm new electronics. It will go away after a while. If you get a very acrid very nasty smell, which is very strong, and some white smoke out the PSU then thats bad.

David said:
The best part (or one of them :p) about building a new PC is the nice smell of warm new electronics. It will go away after a while. If you get a very acrid very nasty smell, which is very strong, and some white smoke out the PSU then thats bad.

OK thanks, ill watch for smoke :)
The smell is not very strong but it is noticable. Ill just keep an eye (or nose) on it and hopefully it will go away.

Thanks.

wow ok good,my PCC does this....i looked inside w/ a flashlight...the heatsinks are big enough for a CPU....post results w/ the x-connect

Back