• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick Prescott Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That was the case untill intel came with the 'disable x bit feature' in the new prescotts (only certain steppings i believe)

With the right motherboard, it will allow you to change your multiplier from 16 or 17 down to 14.

well i just got a 3.4ghz prescott from my bro. i updated my bios to the latest from asus website...and when i go into the chipset options there is no longer a fsb or frequency option. i can't find the voltage options for my cpu either.

i don't remember the exact name...but there was only one option i could change (that seemed to have any effect on an oc) was a set number of 14. i could change the number anywhere from 10-30 (i think). I am at school right now so i can't give you the exact options.

i'm just curious because i want to oc this thing but not exactly sure how. i've been away from the forums for months now and i haven't been keeping up with the latest processors and all the new stuff along with it.

and another thing...when i set my asus clock speeds to standard...it brings my clock to 2.8 ghz and puts my ram running at 266 (i think 3:2?). I have to put a 20% oc to reach 3.36ghz.

Last edited:
if the p4p800 bios is anything like the p4c800, then go to second menu at the top then jumpers, then put the first option to manual and you will get alot of settings.

(sorry is so brief, i just got a p4c800 myself, and i cant remember the options off hand).

ok...i guess i was just blind...or away from oc'ing for too long. right now it's running at 3.75ghz (250x15). not so bad i guess...i'm at 40*C idle.

i'll try to push it further tonight, i still have to wait for my as5 to settle.

another thing, i got d0 stepping, this any good?

Captain Newbie said:
Proof?

AFAIK, only the Emergency...erm, Extreme Editions have free multipliers.

Then i didnt knew that lol. Im sure about the prescotts, it has to do with that disable x bit feature. It is only on certain steppings, but if it are those that JS1 says, i dont know.

i guess i must be lucky then. my multiplier is unlocked, default was at 14 and can change it up to 17. this chip came directly from intel by the way. my brother works for intel and he was given a free processor, but he only uses his computer to check e-mail and such so i got it :)

i still have to do some research on how to get my numbers up. i know my ram is holding me back a little. i have 2x256 mushkin pc3500 and 2x256 ocz value ram (not sure of the model, but it's their cheap kind) i will soon hopefully be getting rid of the pc3200 and matching it with the same pc3500.

i've never worked with free multipliers before so this is kinda new...i know your clock speed is fsbxmultiplier

so with that in mind...is there a specific multiplier i should have it at? and what effect does the multiplier have on the processor? i would assume for me that a higher multiplier would be best since my ram can't push those speeds.

ex: 17*217 would run better than 15*246 since there is less pressure on my ram...is that logic correct?

and i need some voltage values for my cpu to run at too...i'm still researching this stuff. thanks for the responses everyone!

LancerJay said:
ex: 17*217 would run better than 15*246 since there is less pressure on my ram...is that logic correct?

17*217 might run better but it will be alot slower then 15*246, FSB matters alot with the P4. If you have RAM that can handle it, run 1:1 and up the fsb as far as possible.

Back