• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Random shut down =(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TimBlake84

I am building my parents a rig for christmas. I don't have a case but I figured why wait and get out all the bugs before I give it to them. I try to install windows. It boots from the cd fine but when it tries to start the installation of windows, it hangs on the "Installing Keyboard Layout Library" and lists a .dll file as well, then shuts off. It doesn't even begin the installation. It doesn't reboot... it shuts off. this totally doesn't make sense to me. Can someone help me? It's important. Thanks

Last edited:
Yep, it is most likely a hardware program. Do like CrystalMethod said and try a different stick of memory. If you dont have a stick try taking one out. If you only have one stick then you might try and borrow one from a friend. It could also be that maybe you dont have the motherboard grounded correctly since you arent using a case. Another problem could be the hard drive. I would run scandisc on it and see if you dont come up with some bad sectors. You might also check that the disc isnt damaged as well. Good luck, you might end up having to wait for that case afterall.

well, the thing is, I have one 256mb stick of DDR333 in it. The processor runs on a 266mhz bus. However, the mobo accomodates both bus rates. When I boot, the mem check says its running at 166mhz (333). I thought it would run at 266... do you think that is the problem?

i doubt it. my motherboard has a setting that allows the cpu to run at 266 and the ram at 333. Check the processor settings, if that says 266 you don't have anything to worry about. How ever if it's up around 333 that could be a very likely problem.

well the thing is, the mobo is very cheap. My parents are using it for word processing and surfing so I just got the cheapest mobo I could find with AGP and built in LAN. It is a WinFast mobo... miniATX. And the BIOS is not very comprehensive. I have not been able to find any of the CPU settings. I will search around though.

Reset the cmos on the mobo and try another keyboard. Just use a basic keyboard 104 key window keyboard. I know it sounds silly, but its the most logical explination.:santa2:

Back