• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which of these RAM for P4C800-E Deluxe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mirage_Man

Registered
I need to upgrade my current RAM that I can't go over 200fsb @ 1:1 with.

My current setup...

ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe
P4 2.6C 512mb 800FSB
Thermalright XP-90 HS w/Panaflo HO 92mm fan
1G (2X512) PC3200 Kingston Value-Ram (Elpida IC's)
ATI Radeon 9800 PRO 128mb
WD Raptor 37G (WinXP PRO)
Samsung SATA 160G HDD (Storage)
Samsung ATA 160G HDD (Storage)
Enermax Noisetaker EG495P-VE SFMA 2.0 (485W)
NEC 3500 DVD-RW
Lite On 1633 DVD-RW
Sony DVD-ROM
Mitsumi Floppy
Thermaltake Tsunami case

I would really like to run a 1:1 ratio up to about 220-230 FSB. My 2.6 Northy isn't stable at anything higher than 240FSB. The droop mod might change that but for rightnow I'd be happy with the 220-230 @1:1.

I've been doing a ton of reading and have pretty much narrowed the choices down to a few candidates. What are your opinions?

1) pqi TURBO Series Dual Channel Kit 184-Pin 1GB (2x512MB)DDR PC-3200

2) OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2 Dual Channel Kit 184-Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200

3) CORSAIR XMS Xtreme Memory Speed Series, Xtra-Low Latency 184-Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200

4) Mushkin Hi Perf LII V2 Dual Pack 184-Pin 1GB(512MB x 2) DDR PC-3200

I like PQI myself but you can't really go wrong with any of them. Reason i like PQI is they are rated for 2.6v as opposed to 2.75v for corsair/ocz and they are cheaper as well.

Know Nuttin said:
I like PQI myself but you can't really go wrong with any of them. Reason i like PQI is they are rated for 2.6v as opposed to 2.75v for corsair/ocz and they are cheaper as well.

Yeah I was leaning toward the PQI but I wonder what the customer service is like among the companies I've listed? I mean if I need to RMA at some point which one will give me the least troubles?

Also if it safe to assume that all these use the same IC's, Samsungs TCCD?

Well I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the OCZ. I hope it lives up to all the hype. The reason I went for it rather than the PQI was name recognition for re-sale value. PQI may indeed make a name for itself by the time I would want to sell it but I'd rather not take the chance considering the nearly identical performance of the the two. Also I like the good thngs I've heard about OCZ's customer service.

We'll see...

Your 2.6 will only do 240? How did you test that...with the 5:4 or the 3:2 divider? And at what voltage to the cpu?

I just always thought that 250 or plus was pretty close to a sure thing for a 2.6c P4.

In any event, you shouldn't be disappointed with your choice. You should be able to max you cpu with the PQI without any trouble and perhaps find a new max. Your cpu will quit before your ram does.

The good thing about those sticks also is that if you later choose to move to an A64 platform, for example, you'll be set then as well.

And by the way, WELCOME TO THE MADNESS (OCF).

Your 2.6 will only do 240? How did you test that...with the 5:4 or the 3:2 divider? And at what voltage to the cpu?

I used the 5:4 divider. It posted once witha CPU FSB of 248, but on reboot I would get the "system failure due to CPU over-clocking" messege from the ASUS MB. I continued gettting that error until I dropped it down to 240.

I tried voltage up to 1.675 with the same results. Like I said before the droop mod might help but I don't know if that's the issue or if it's just the limit of the CPU?

I'm new to OC'ing so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Mirage_Man said:
I used the 5:4 divider. It posted once witha CPU FSB of 248, but on reboot I would get the "system failure due to CPU over-clocking" messege from the ASUS MB. I continued gettting that error until I dropped it down to 240.

I tried voltage up to 1.675 with the same results. Like I said before the droop mod might help but I don't know if that's the issue or if it's just the limit of the CPU?

I'm new to OC'ing so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

What kind of ram were you running and how high could it go at 1:1? I guess what I am trying to figure out is if it is possible that your ram was the limiter and not the cpu. In any event, you'll find out soon enough.

Test the OCZ at 2.5-3-3-7 and find out whether your cpu will break that 240-245 at those timings (1:1). Most TCCD based ram will run past 250 and beyond with those timings so you should be able to max the cpu without having to lower the timings any more.

The OCZ came today and I've spent the last few hours playing with the Bios settings. Right now I have a very stable OC at a 230 FSB. Take a look at the picture for the timings and such. I sure could use some tips on where to go next (i.e. timings etc...)

I have the VDIMM set to 2.75V right now and the VCORE set at 1.6V.

Once again I tried to do a 250 FSB OC and it gave me the good old "system failure due to CPU overclock" message. So I backed it down to the 230. I have a feeling it's either the limit of the board or the CPU casue I know this RAM will gow over that.

I am going to run Memtest overnight to see if I get any errors at the current settings. Will post in the AM the results.

BTW does anyone know how I can find out what rev. MB this is? CPU-Z reports it as beeing a rev.1 but I just got it from Newegg last week. Could it really be a rev.1?

Attachments

• prime95.jpg
    prime95.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 141
Well Memtest ran for about 6hrs with no errors at the above settings. What should I do next?

The 2.6C generally is a disappointing overclocker for some reason. Sounds like you have an average one. You might consider putting it up for sale and getting a nice 3.0C. They will typically do 240 to 250 FSB (3.6 to 3.75 gig).

Grov said:
Did you put more voltage through the ram when you upped it to 240?

Yes I did. The fact that it wouldn't boot over 245ish with my old ram with a 5:4 ratio or the new OCZ leads me to believe it's either the board or CPU not the RAM. I know this ram will do more than 230. However I don't think there is an option in the bios to run the RAM faster than the CPU, is there?

Last edited:
batboy said:
The 2.6C generally is a disappointing overclocker for some reason. Sounds like you have an average one. You might consider putting it up for sale and getting a nice 3.0C. They will typically do 240 to 250 FSB (3.6 to 3.75 gig).

I suppose I could but I just bought this one last week brand new :bang head

Well I picked up a brand new 3.2C this week. Gonna install it this coming week. I hope it's a good overclocker. Anyone have any ideas where a good place to sell the 2.6 would be? I mean it's only a couple weeks old..

I recoomend OCZ and nothing else

315fsb.jpg

OCZ Baby pc4200

Back