• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6600 GT with Artifacts stock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cnsutter

My 6600 GT came today:clap: . If works wonders in games, but when I ran 3DMark 03, it had severe artifacting during 2 different tests. I downloaded the latest drivers from nvidia website, but I still get artifacts. Has anyone else had this problem or can help me out. It is the AGP version. Could it be a heat issue? I am planning on getting a slot fan to help, but I don't think it should do this at stock speeds. Haven't had much time to test it yet.

OK, It does start to seriously mess up in a game. Playing NFS Underground 2 and with everything cranked it plays like a champ for a minute or two, then it starts crapping out and green stuff starts flickering everywhere and it just gets worse the longer you are in it. I am starting to get upset. :mad:

cnsutter said:
OK, It does start to seriously mess up in a game. Playing NFS Underground 2 and with everything cranked it plays like a champ for a minute or two, then it starts crapping out and green stuff starts flickering everywhere and it just gets worse the longer you are in it. I am starting to get upset. :mad:
Did you plug the power cord on it in? If not thats your problem

cnsutter said:
My 6600 GT came today:clap: . If works wonders in games, but when I ran 3DMark 03, it had severe artifacting during 2 different tests. I downloaded the latest drivers from nvidia website, but I still get artifacts. Has anyone else had this problem or can help me out. It is the AGP version. Could it be a heat issue? I am planning on getting a slot fan to help, but I don't think it should do this at stock speeds. Haven't had much time to test it yet.

I had the exact same problem except mine was a 6800nu (eVGA ) on my old Athlon 2500/NF7-S rig. Brand new, stock settings I would get artifacts in some of the tests in 3Dmark03 (Troll's Lair, Battle of Proxicon). I only saw the arts in 3Dmark03 - not in 3Dmark01 or '05. Also, the only game I noticed them was Far Cry.

At first I thought it was my PSU (which at the time was a 400w Silenx - a good one!). So then I upgraded to my OCZ 520w PowerStream - arguably one of the very best PSUs. Still same problems. I even tried the card in my Shuttle AN35 rig - still same problems. I also tried 3 different drivers. My case temps were normal.

Long story short - I RMAd that bad boy and upgraded to a eVGA 6800gt. When I slapped the new gt in - no artifacts. Ive been happy ever since. :cool:

Make sure your psu is a good one. Also, if you can, make sure nothing else is plugged into the power cord that powers your 6600gt. Try it in another pc if possible.

If that does not help consider RMAing it.

BTW, what brand is the card?

Got it figured out. The fan was not working properly. There was a wire that was keeping it from operating at full speed. Did not get hot enough to do anything though, I don't think. Only ran for a few minutes. All is good now. This card is really smokin!

Back