• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which order do I place my stuff in? like pump, resovior, block, raid? or what?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

R4esh

Registered
Which order do I place my stuff in? like pump, resovior, block, raid? or what?
I just got my WC setup and Idk which order to set it up in. Also am I supposed to drill holes in my shroud to connect the fan, or glue it like I glue the shroud to the heatercore?

Many people feel it is best to put the rad right before the cpu (or which ever block is first) so it is getting the water at the coolest point. But it seems it has been proved that putting the pump there instead doesn't effect temps more than 1 C.

gingo said:
Many people feel it is best to put the rad right before the cpu (or which ever block is first) so it is getting the water at the coolest point. But it seems it has been proved that putting the pump there instead doesn't effect temps more than 1 C.

I can tell you that pump-rad-cpu may cook your pump :)
(at the very least, melt the plastic bit that the shaft sits in )

Ya gota check the operating temps of your pump, and what the expected coolent temp returning from the CPU will be :)

proof?

Water temp doesn't vary more than a couple degrees c throughout the loop. If your water temperature is hot enough to melt the impeller housing, I HIGHLY doubt your processor will still be running and if it is, you have a major problem somewhere.

indeed, and if you're too lazy to go to the article, hes the major points that are presented:

Myth: The order of components has a significant impact on temps (eg, the radiator must be before the CPU).

Reality: The order of components makes a difference of less than 0.5ºC in most watercooling systems. The physics:

pump---->radiator---->CPU---->pump
pump---->CPU---->radiator---->pump

There is only one difference, and that is the position of the pump in the loop, be it before or after the CPU.

... read the whole thing for a calculation

Ergo there is a 0.19ºC difference in water temperature between the inlet and outlet of the pump. This does not mean the water is only 0.19ºC warmer than air - that is an entirely different calculation.

And that's with 50 watts. If you're running a smaller pump, such as the D4, you're looking at about 15 watts.

So, do what allows for the simplest tubing runs - tubing length/kinking will have a greater impact on temps.

Back