• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can you use hdtv as a monitor ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xtreme Barton

probably a dumb question but can you use a hdtv as a monitor ?? or does it have to be plasma or a LCD ??

thanks in advance !!

Yes, and LCD and Plasma TVs are types of HDTVs. HDTV is just high definition, or high resolution, tv.

Yeah, I know someone here had a pic of they're computer hooked up to a 48" plasma or something like that....just use S-video, RCA....if it has component or VGA or digitial use those...for component you'll need a VGA to component adapter but they're easy to find.

so does any video card work ??

i have a oc'ed ti4600 ..

heres the main issue..

i tried using a big screen before (no hdtv) and it looked horrible..

now i have a hdtv big screen (55" Wide Screen) so i was wondering if i could use a computer on there.. for gaming .. i just thought that would kick A@@ ..

anyways there is a ton of inputs on the back so im not even sure which ones go to what..

if anyone has done this or knows how please guide me ..

edit wel i tired the svideo and that looked the same as it did on the other tv ..

so i definetly have to hook it up to a hdtv input .. i have three different hook ups in the back .. is there a simple solution or will it cost a fortune to do this ??

Last edited:
have a better idea ??

and your forgetting the main point !!

going from a 19" to a 55" for gaming !!

IIRC component is analog....so why not just stay analog and get a VGA to component...you can get em cheaper on ebay and you won't need to buy/find component cables.

If your tv has DVI in, use that, that ATI adapter probably will not work with your graphics card, the ATI cards that it is made for can output component directly, so that is just an adapter from the DVI-A connector to the component 3 RCA connectors, it does not change the signal at all. List what connectors you have on your TV please.

Also the ti4600 does not have HDTV resolution - digital output? support out like newwer ATI cards do :)

but hey - if it works for what yo go go for it

The reason you screen looke dliekc rap before is becuase most tv hae less the 640 x 480 reo****ions and text is not clear enough - you should be LOVING your HDTV for this stuff - i plan to do the same thing at some point. or possibly try out tomshardware $300 projector guide :D

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!

dang it !!

well what kind of card will i need ???

i dont want a expensive one just one that will do the task at hand and also perform as good as my oc'ed ti4600..

as far as what connections i have on the back ..

i have two spots for component cable hookup with audio inputs also..

and the other looks exactly like a the vga connector on my video card also has audio inputs too..

i thought that in order to run the higher resolutions and have great picture qaulity all you had to have was the correct drivers and the cables for hookup :bang head

well if i need a new card i will have to save now ... man i had my hopes all up !! 55" gaming screen :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

is hdtv/dvd playback support what im looking for ?? if so the ti4600 supports that option..

maybe im getting confused..

sorry if so .. i just was looking across some thread where a guy did this and i thought wow that would be awesome..

so could someone clarify what i need exactly to do this ..

what card if i need to change and what specific feature am i looking for on the card to know it will do this ..

also what type converter do i need..

and about the ati converter .. i figured it was just reccomended that it go with a ati card .... beings it was just to convert a dvi plug into the comonent plugs.. didnt think it had anything to do with the actual card..

The ATI converter works on 9500+ cards, it doesn't actually change the signal at all, just changes the connector from DVI-A to component. If your plasma has DVI or VGA input, your current card should work.

no i dont have a plasma .. wish i did though

all i have is a big screen 55" hdtv

in the back i have vga input for one of the hd inputs and the others are the component hookups..

Try plugging your computer into the vga, if that works, use it, otherwise, you will probably need new hardware.

my wife doesn't like surround-sound for the living room entertainment system so made my computer the "system" that would cover me - just pretty much completed the components by buying a 20" LCD..........i sit so close in respect compared to a 55" that it works for me quite well.........

ahh yes the VGA port i beleive witll give you 480i reolutions a "true" hd reo****ion i think is the 1080i - which i dont think the ti4600 can output.

i think what u need to look for is

Digital Video Format HDTV

am reserching it some more, dont want to give you wrong info.

The best way to try it is hook it up and see how it looks :D

ok i went and bought a vga to vga male to male plug.. i can get hi def. but only to 800 x 600 .. i think to actually get it to go to 1080i is to get a dvi to component video output plug .. but i can say tat it does look awesome this way .. i am gonna try some wolfenstein (free) and see what i think ...

i went from s-video @ 800 x 600 which i couldnt see the words hardly at all (to blury) to veing able to see crystal clear..

i can only imagine what 1080i would look like ..

cant wait to try it out.. to bad my cordless keyboard wigged out on me .. have to get another one .. sit back on the couch and play some far cry ..

that game is beatiful .. not the best game but it sure looks great !!

can anyone try to see what they come up with .. i was told if i convert to the dvi plug that will give me 1080i beings its digital and not analog like vga ..

Back