• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

radeon fan not spinning

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hayabusav15

Registered
Alright, I play a lot of the new games, I.E. Doom 3, Hl2, and Farcry. However, I can only play any of these games for 15 minutes, before artifacts fill up my screen. I believe this is due to my card overheating as a result of my fan not properly spinning. I dont overclock anything in my system, but I can hear it spinning unevenly and when I watch it spin as my computer is on, i see that it isnt spinning how it should. It spins very slowly and off balance. I have taken the card out, unplugged and replugged the card, and used Dust-Off spray to get any dust bunnies out of there. However, I can not get it to spin correctly and this is dramatically decreasing its performance, I can not even play CS for more than 30 minutes. well, If anyone has any tips on how i can fix my Radeon 9800 pro 128 mb (i believe it is from powercolor) then thank you.
-Curtis

im sorry, Im not really that well versed in computers, kind of a newbie. And I dont really have that much money at my disposal. I was just wondering if there was a way i cuold fix my fan without having to buy anything.
-Curtis

Hayabusav15 said:
im sorry, Im not really that well versed in computers, kind of a newbie. And I dont really have that much money at my disposal. I was just wondering if there was a way i cuold fix my fan without having to buy anything.
-Curtis
If you're a DIY'er, you could drill some mounting holes in an old CPU heatsink fan assembly and mount that in place of the dead heatsink fan on your 9800 pro... Or you could just fabricate a bracket to hold a fan in front of the heatsink on your card.

ok, illl just rig the fan on there, cuz i have a friend that knows how to do that, thnx.
-Curtis

ok, well it seems that my friend doesnt know how to do either of ur suggestions, and so without buying the silencer, is there a way that I can fix the actual fan? If not I guess I can just buy the silencer, but I just got this setup and I think it is a rip that I have to buy new stuff already.
-Curtis

I wouldn't start modifying your video card if it isn't working properly, I would contact ATi, and RMA your video card to get it repaired or replaced.

If the fan isn't spinning properly, the card isn't working properly, which is why ATi has a superb warranty service :)

You can get in touch with them through www.ati.com - let them know what's happening, and they'll get your card fixed up, or replaced in no time.

You never want to void any of your hardware warranties, when the hardware isn't working properly and perfectly without issue, at stock.

I got the card off of newegg.com does that matter? Would I have to go to ATI or newegg for the warranty? I also have a powercolor card, but ATI doesnt have that as an option on the phone help area of the website.
-Curtis

Sent it to ATi, with newegg your going to have to pay shipping to send the card, and your going to be without the card for a couple of days, if you do it through ATi they will probably send a replacement first then you send your card in a box with a prepaid label. That's what most manufacturers do.

Edit: Oh I see you have a Powercolor, contact them then.

Go with what AVG said, that's what warrenties are for. But you can also look at buying an aftermarker fan, as they're often better at cooling a card, meaning a higher performance rate!

Back