• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Keep CPU or no?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

awsskater42

I have a dell 4550 with a 2.53 P4 processor. I want to get a new GPU so i can play HL2, but in order to get a new GPU (like the 6600gt), I need a new motherboard, new memory, and for a new GPU I will need a new power supply, and plus a new case to fit everything in . My question is should I use the processor I have, since I will only be using it for 2 and a half years,( maybe longer) or should I get an AMD 64 processor or something?

Well considering you are pretty much building a whole new computer without a cpu, I would just go A64. It would be a nice upgrade if you can afford nice memory to go along with it.

Yeah, what Viper said. While you're changing just about everything else, might as well get a new processor to go with. Sell the Dell and buy an AMD processor to go with your new comp.

Yeah I am still not sure. I know the amd will be a lot better, but will my current processor slow down my system? I hate how on the dell everything is made to have jsut enough of everything to work. Also, if I kept my PCU, i could get a mobo that supports PCI express. Should I not care about getting PCI express and stick with AGP 8?

About PCIE and AGP, its been settled many times. But basically its like having agp 4x and going to 8x, theres barely any difference and its not worth the money (well, only comparing pcie and agp right now). Its totally up to you, pcie *is* better, its capable of more, but we dont have the tech right now. But if you are looking at a 6600, then agp is the way to go. It'll be another year or so before pcie really glows.

get an AMD64 if you can afford it... you're pretty much building a complete new system and if you want state of the art, go state of the art. agree with FyreDaug that PCI-E has not seen its true potential yet, so don't think you need PCI-E to get great graphics.

Its not that I want PCI express, its just that with the new albatron mobos that support pci express for socket 478, i could get the 6600 gt in pci express which is like 40 dollars cheaper, so I would save twenty dollars there lol. Oh and also I haven't heard anythig about the albatron boards so yeah.

Back