• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD - SSE3 and YES DDR2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
SSE3 is definitely coming, but DDR2, I doubt. Even if the chips include it, the article says it will be disabled initially.

DanIdentity said:
SSE3 is definitely coming, but DDR2, I doubt. Even if the chips include it, the article says it will be disabled initially.
Even the INQ said so. They said that it would support both but AMD would "turn on" each function incrementally. Starting with SSE3....

OOOOHH YYEEAAAA San-Diego is aaaaalll mine:D I cant wait to see what these real 90nm are capable of

Last edited:
is it worth it to wait for SSE3? got my Winchester coming and am wondering if i should cancel

i wonder if somone out there could figure out just HOW to turn them on...before AMD releases ones turned on.....now THAT WOULD BE AWESOME! WOO!

"They will have such goodies as SSE3 and DDR2, but that most likely won't be turned on initially."

I'd wait...cuz Im going e-die as soon as they show up
whtz tht all about ....

hmmmm now should i get a 3200+ now or wait even longer they need to make there minds up what they are and not having in their CPU's

they better be out by jan cuz thtz when i was planin the 'BIG' upgrade ..

Because the chips have ddr2 that is turned off initially and ddr1, does that mean later on they will support both ddr2 and ddr1 without having to buy another chip, only a new mobo?

well i dont have the luxury of waiting til the sse3 winchesters turn up, mines gotta come this week as iv sold my p4 setup - jeez its hard enuf getting a winchester at all over here atm :(
tho i may sell my winchester for an 'e' when they do arrive...

Thats what I might do, I plan on buying an A64 3200+ Winchester, MSI nforce3 mobo, ram. I'm just glad that AMD is going to stick with Socket 939 for a while, hopefully.

im keeping my order for the winchester 3200+ as well, i hope by the next time i upgrade i don't have to play the should i should i not waiting game

Quailane said:
Because the chips have ddr2 that is turned off initially and ddr1, does that mean later on they will support both ddr2 and ddr1 without having to buy another chip, only a new mobo?
i don't think you can just turn it on, maybe with a hard mod though, but who know, we'll have to just wait and see

Yup, this chip sounds hot, and sizzling :D
Ed has posted this about a month ago and he said it'll be available early next year Here

At least according to what the Taiwanese mobo makers are saying, the next revision of 90nm Hammers, Revision E, is supposed to be out early next year.

It will include SSE3 support, which you'd rather have than not, and will feature tweaks to the Hammer's memory controller for integrated graphics use (which won't help most reading this one bit).

A new stepping always has the potential of increased performance, but let's note a couple things from the abovementioned link.

First, this is revision E of the chip. That means it's the fifth stepping of this chip. That's a lot, and just as much as Prescott is due to have. AMD didn't even let any get out the door until the fourth generation, so they're obviously struggling with this.

Second, it doesn't look like AMD will put out a chip that will go at more than 2.8GHz in 2005. This is not terribly good news for those who want at least 3GHz out of one of these eventually.

If it's going to take AMD five shots to be able to make at least a decent amount of chips capable of 2.6GHz, I'm sorry, but there's not a whole lot of headroom left in these chips. No knock on AMD, after all that would be better than what Intel ended up with, and they haven't been promising a major ramp, but I think a lot of people still have unrealistic expectations.

The sad reality in our world is that a late model Northwood system bought six-nine months ago and overclocked to 3.5-3.6GHz will still look awfully good against anything vaguely affordable you'll be able to buy at the end of 2005. The rate of improvement has collapsed.

BTW, can anyone clarify if nForce 4 and K8T890 will have any AGP solutions??? (sorry for off-topic, didn't wanna make a new thread for this)

Last edited:
oc_byagi said:
BTW, can anyone clarify if nForce 4 and K8T890 will have any AGP solutions??? (sorry for off-topic, didn't wanna make a new thread for this)

Sure can. The short answer: No. Those chipsets are strictly for PCIe-only. All the more reason to wait if you're looking to buy.

deception``

Back