• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best 2.1 computer speakers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

squale

I was looking to get new speakers for my computer. I only really listen to music so I don't need surround, so 2.1 setup will do just fine. I was looking at the best I can get...

I was comparing the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=103&s=awards

and the Logitech Z-2300 http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2173,CONTENTID=9372

Just wondering what people here think are the best 2.1 systems available today. And if there is any new models coming out which are better and worth waiting for please let me know, thanks!

If you are spending that much on 2.1 speakers I would just get some 5.1 speakers even if you are just listening to music the sound would be much better.

Promedias are some of the best speakers out there. The 2.1's make good sense if you want to listen to some good music.

Go for the Promedias...

Last edited:
Toms had a lot of good things to say about the 2300's. Thats what I just picked up, they should be ariving next week. I'll let you know how it goes.

jbloudg20 said:
Toms had a lot of good things to say about the 2300's. Thats what I just picked up, they should be ariving next week. I'll let you know how it goes.

If Tom has something good to say, he's probably recieving an incentive to say so. My advise is to buy the Klipsch's, I love mine.

PS If you go with the klipsch's, be sure to check out www.klipsch.com and see if they have a sale on refurbed 2.1's.

Ive heard the speakers, and I'm throughly impressed. But I do agree that Tom is probably biased.

I don't know about the best 2.1 system possible (talking tens of millions of US dollars), but with a $3000ish budget, here's what I'd get:

Harman Kardon AVR 635 (7 channels, you will eventually decide to add more loudspeakers)

Onix Audio Rocket 750 signatures

For the sub, it's really up to you. Some people like more extension, some like more headroom for realistic explosions.

Some suggestions:

PSB subsonic 9
SVS PB12-ISD/2
Paradigm PW-2200

I've heard lots of good things about the Promedias...but also the Logitech Z's. Personally I would probably check out the Promedias for their supposed better music production if that's what you are into. I haven't heard the Promedias before though but I do enjoy my Z2200's.

I personally picked up the Z2200's when they were getting phased out. Got it for the unreal price of $65 Canadian :p . Brand new still in the manufacturer's brown box.

I have the Promedias and they are the best computer speakers I've ever heard. If you get them make sure you've got a good sound card because you can hear a lot of sound with the Promedias.

i bought bose speakers and i like them...what's wrong with bose? how come no one ever recommends them!?

Bose are overpriced for what they are. They are decent speakers but for the price you pay you can get systems 2x better. I recommend the Swans, that ryan suggested or the M-audio powered monitors. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=36-127-105&depa=0 Both cost about as much as the Klipsh and are leagues ahead of them in sound and probably even bass, never heard the Promedias myself.

Yeah, Bose speakers are overpriced, and comprimise fullness and performance inorder to save space. Sure they have some neat designs, but you can't cheat physics without paying a penalty.
I've been using Klipsch for several years, and for the money, you will not find a better computer speaker setup. Go with the 2.1's and you will no regret it. I'd avoid the Logitech's if you enjoy accurate music, as they brighten the sounds in the interest of appealing to gamers and teenagers.

Just wondering, on my Promedia 2.1's, when there is no sound coming out of them from the computer, I can hear a slight humming out of the subwoofer... is this normal? It's kinda annoying that the power button is all the way down on the back of the subwoofer. That means everytime I want to turn them on and off I have to crawl underneath the desk which is a pain in the butt... but is this slight hum normal? I have tried turning the volume level for both the sub and the sats all the way down and I still hear this slight hum.

Back