• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mein Kampf: The Ultimate Rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

koolman187

Registered
CPU: Athlon 64 3500+
Video Card: EVGA GeForce 6800 GT 256MB 8X AGP
Motherboard: MSI K8n Neo2 Platinum
Memory: Corsair XMS 512MBx2 DDR PC-3200
Monitor: Samsung 17" 710N LCD
Case: ASPIRE X-Navigator Silver/Black Aluminum ATX Mid-Tower Case with side window
Power Supply: Aspire 500w (good quality)
CD-RW: Lite-On Black Combo Drive Write Speed: 52X CD-R, 32X CD-RW Read Speed: 52X CD-ROM, 16X DVD-ROM
Mouse: Razer Diamondback
Keyboard: Logitech Elite
Hard drive: Maxtor 80 gig 7200 8mb cache
Heatsink + fan: Thermaltake Silent Boost
Sound Card: CHAINTECH 7.1 Channel PCI
Speakers: Codegen 2.1 Channel Speakers (not going to be used much)
Headphones: KINYO KY-100 5.1 Channel Headphones
Wireless network: Not decided. My comp is hooked up to the internets one room away from my bedroom. My new comp will be in my bedroom. I want to be able to go online with the wireless thingy from my room. Must be able to rig up Xbox live at the same time in my room. Suggestions?
Total (Before tax): $ 1,778.61

Eat that. Or give me suggestions. I tried to go all out without making my wallet explode.

I'll be right back. I gotta go tell my mom. I might not be back for awhile if she has a heart attack, so keep this topic bumped.

I'm taking it to college this summer. And just to pre-empt any of you: get a job, spoiled brat, liberal communazi, momma's boy, rich kid, jerk, Nvidiot, AMD fanboy, insert generic insult here, etc etc etc

If you are trying to make the most badass system why are you just getting a 6800GT? Get the 6800 Ultra :)

Spec

I would get a much larger HD. I dont know about you, but something about the massive bandwidth of a college connection causes HDs to fill up verrrrrry quickly. I have two 160s, and they didnt last too long. being able to download at 15 megabits a second is just.. well... you get the idea. A 36 gig raptor would be nice for you OS and a few games, but you will definitly want some massive storage drives to go with it. I dont know what variety of corsair ram you are getting, but try to get ram based on wither TCCD or Micron chips. (OCZ 3700EB, Crucial Ballistix, Corsair 3200XL, PQI turbo, or something like that.) Other than that, looks good, very similiar to the setup that I got to take to school with me.

koolman187 said:
And just to pre-empt any of you: get a job, spoiled brat, liberal communazi, momma's boy, rich kid, jerk, Nvidiot, AMD fanboy, insert generic insult here, etc etc etc

Let me pre-empt you by mentioning our forum policy regarding Flaming. Our policy is we have a zero tolerance stance. Just so you know.

PS, Nice rig! I really don't know why you named this thread, 'My struggle', but to each his own I suppose.

Xenocide said:
i hope you realize what mein kampf is... :(

If your talking to me, I know exactly what it means,(I wrote its translation above but didnt mention the demented madman that wrote it) But your probably not talking to me :)

I would also appreciate it if he wouldn't title threads like that in the future. If I see it again I wil just remove the thread.

Xenocide said:
nope, you hadn't responded when i was typing

SSS- would i challenge you?

id be put in the troll trap :p

If I was wrong I would hope you'd challenge me and set me straight m8 ;)

Back to the subject on his rig, I think he needs a Raptor :beer:

Zac42 said:
I would get a much larger HD. I dont know about you, but something about the massive bandwidth of a college connection causes HDs to fill up verrrrrry quickly. I have two 160s, and they didnt last too long. being able to download at 15 megabits a second is just.. well... you get the idea.

I hadn't thought of that. Damnit. My wallet is about to asplode as it is. So I can get a raptor 36 gig for gaming, then like a 160 gig hdd? My 40 gig'er is already bursting at the seams with prawn, not even counting 5 gig game installations.

Edit: Eeep! Sorry about the Mein Kampf thing. Its just that I was always a PC gamer than a bunch of bad stuff happened and I never had a good PC for a long time. I was never able to get money together. So now I've just decided to blow that once-failed dream away with a double barrel shotgun.

Last edited:
The only part I have is the hard drive. I have an unused Maxtor 80 gig 7200rpm 8mb buffer ATA133.

I want more space + speed at not TOO much cost. No $200 stuff. What should I do?

well, a big SATA drive can be had for under 100 easily. 100 should get a 120 or perhaps even a 160 gig drive if you get a good deal. If you are concerd about cost, then stay away from raptors. Yes, they are faster, but the cost per gigabyte is soo much higher than a normal 7200 rpm drive that it is not worth it.

So I could use the SATA drive and the Maxtor one in my rig? I could use the SATA for games and the Maxtor for storing por-err, mp3s, MUSIC videos, etc?

I already bought the Maxtor, and I don't want it to go to waste.

WELCOM TO THE FORUMS!!!

Your rig is looking good. I would recommend:
CPU: Athlon 64 3000+ OC'ed: $150
Memory: OCZ EL Platinum Rev.2: $270
CD-RW: NEC ND-3500A DVD+/-RW: $67
Hard drive: WD Raptor 74GB: $152 OR capacity alternative: 200GB WD or Seagate
Heatsink + fan: XP-90 + 92mm fan: 50
Sound Card: onboard (you dont need a separate sound card--quality diff is negligible)
Headphones: Altec Lansing AHS602: $60 (surround sound with EDIT: mic :bang head )

Last edited:
Monitor: Samsung 17" 710N LCD

Why such a smaller monitor for a good system?

and ye si would have suggsted the raptor 76g as well and a cheap 160g for like $100.

Also, why get a 7.1 sound card if you only getting 2.1 speakers?

beta_mouse said:
WELCOM TO THE FORUMS!!!

Your rig is looking good. I would recommend:
CPU: Athlon 64 3000+ OC'ed: $150
Memory: OCZ EL Platinum Rev.2: $270
CD-RW: NEC ND-3500A DVD+/-RW: $67
Hard drive: WD Raptor 74GB: $152 OR capacity alternative: 200GB WD or Seagate
Heatsink + fan: XP-90 + 92mm fan: 50
Sound Card: onboard (you dont need a separate sound card--quality diff is negligible)
Headphones: Altec Lansing AHS602: $60 (surround sound with headset)

beta is right, get lower speed cpu and clock it a bit to 3500+ speed; most of them should do that easy. and you don't need a separate sound card; with modern on-board sound you won't notice the dif. , especially with headphones. just any seagate or wd 7200 rpm sata drive would do; go for size.
though nec 3500a wouldn't be my choice. it's a good drive but you need'll a moded bios (read - voided warranty :p) to get the most out of it. get benq 1620 better.

There is no problem running serial ata drives and parallel ata drives in the same system. They are completely independent of eachother.

mcoleg said:
though nec 3500a wouldn't be my choice. it's a good drive but you need'll a moded bios (read - voided warranty :p) to get the most out of it. get benq 1620 better.

Oooh I didn't know that..I went out and got the 3500 because it came out on top in the Anandtech roundup. What's this bios mod I need to do?

Back