• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Centrino Clock Speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

am8soccer

Hi, i have a dell D505 laptop that i just formatted with windows xp
i installed the chipset drivers and other drivers(lan, audio, etc) that i got from the dell website

i know before formatting it had intel speedstep or something that would throttle down when idle.

However, now, how do i get the laptop to run at correct speed when plugged into the wall (1400 mhz)

right now it is at 600mhz, 100fsb x 6

Do i have to install another driver or something?

Thanks for the help

do u have some battery icon down by your clock? you should be able to right click it and chosoe a "profile" for it when battery mode witll kick in and speed etc.

Hmm dont they always do that even if they are plugged in. I thought the laptop throttles the cpu on demand to what it needs for speed so the laptop will run cooler. Why dissapate 30 watts of heat 24/7 if your only surfing the web and you can dissapate 4 watts of heat instead.

I dont have a laptop so im probrobly wrong :/

I thought the centrino only raised the multiplier when the cpu is under load no matter if its running on mains or battery?
Run prime95 or some cpu usage program and check again?

hmm thanks i ran prime 95 on small FFTs and it went up to 1400 mhz (stayed at 600 on blend stress test), so i guess the cpu is working fine

however, i do want the battery icon to tell me how much battery is left. Does anyone know what this program is called?..i dont see anything obvious on the dell site.

Just go into the windows power management thingy in the control panel and check the box that says "Always display power icon on taskbar" (might be phrased a little differently).

Back