• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help silence my fans!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TombKeeper

I just got a new system together....only problem though is the 120mm Evercool AL fans are pretty loud. Even at the lowest setting with the Vantec Nexus you can hear them real good (the air movement).

Is it possible to slow them down more or something so i don't hear them anymore?

I'm using the Antec P160 case and i've cut out the front/rear fan grills and put a blowhole on top and window/blowhole on the side...

You could try a 5 volt mod..The red wire from the fan to the orange 5 volt...Blk. ground stays the same...
Or get a Sunbeam fan controller..It will go down to zero volts..

You sure its not the NB fan making the noise...or the HS's fan?

archilochus said:
You could try a 5 volt mod..The red wire from the fan to the orange 5 volt...Blk. ground stays the same...
Or get a Sunbeam fan controller..It will go down to zero volts..

You sure its not the NB fan making the noise...or the HS's fan?

No...not sure actually....i guess it could be the nb fan (???)... the ps fan is controllable by me and i don't think it's at fault.

Power your rig down, &
Unplug the power to the fan controller temporarly for test ...See if it's the case fans or something else...
If your HS's fan is on the controller just unplug the case fans..Proccess of elimination..;)

How about a fan-less NB cooler, every fan you get rid of is one less noise source.

Did you cut out the stupid fan grill covers on the case? freeing up the air flow often helps too... I do it on every case i ever get.

My advice is also to put all the fans in the case, cpu included, onto one or more fan speed controllers. that way you can safley do a live test of the fan noise... i say that cause im running server atm, and well 12min @ startup is too long, if i had my system set up right, i would go with Archilochus' statment about the power of elimination method.

Last edited:
the nb is running at 5300 rpm....maybe that's the prob - but can't unplug it though.

anybody know if the trucontrol 550w ps from antec is loud or not?

i'm also starting to think mbm is not giving good temp readings - swapped a 48 cfm fan with panaflo 57cfm fan and the temp is supposedly the same on the cpu.......??

It'll most likely overheat...no? it's stock cooler and very similar to nf7's

I have heard that you can sand the edges of your fan's cutting blades to reduce noise. Has anyone else done this to confirm?

The damn stock NB cooler is loud man. Make sure the machine has no load then just unplug fans. It won't overheat fast enough. The 550TrueControl is quiet as long as it stays under 1900RPMs.

Don't let the panaflo fool you it's a high, there might not be bearing noise but the air whoosh is kinda noisy.

Also 9CFM isn't gonna give you a temperature difference at all, at least not a measurable one using motherboard sensors. You'll need a jump of 20-30CFM to at best see a 2-5 degree difference and at a certain point you'll hit a wall of diminishing returns.

OK.... I think it may video... not sure - any one know how loud stock sapphire x800 xt fan is? Wanna buy ati silencer 4 soon, but i wanna know if this is what's making all the noise.

Also, what can i use to replace stock n/b cooling on msi neo2 platinum?

Hmm, Get a piece of 1/2" or 5/8" hose about 2 or 3 feet long...Stick it in your ear, and use it as a stethascope to find the exact location of the offender...:burn::)

archilochus said:
Hmm, Get a piece of 1/2" or 5/8" hose about 2 or 3 feet long...Stick it in your ear, and use it as a stethascope to find the exact location of the offender...:burn::)

The doctor is in it would seem. As long as he doesn't reach for the latex gloves we should be OK.

LOL J/K good idea though Arch

Back