• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PPLLEEAASSEE HELP!!!! PS2 mouse problems.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drewmister

I was very afraid to post this in this section as it might not get any replies before mid 2007. I say that just cause I never look in here and i imagine since I only came here with a problem not many people come here for fun, especially hidden within the forums.

Anyway the problem begins with the failure of my asus a7v333 mobo a few weeks back... tried everything to get it up and going again but i just screwed something up so it is haning on my wall to look kewl if it can't server its purpose as a mommy board. Anyway I had borrowed a friends gigabyte ga-7xxxx (not sure exactly SIS chipset though) board and put my parts in it for a while and all worked fine except this one little thing. The PS2 mouse was never detected, and i tried several different ones I knew worked (took them straight of rigs that were up and running and using them). This is windows XP pro which should detect it and at least put some generic drivers for the time being. Anyway so i navigated with the keyboard for a while then just borrowed an ancient serial mouse from my friend. Windows saw it immediately and all was right in the world again.

The problem is this was a temporary solution for the rig I was using with my friends mobo. It didnt seem like a big deal, and i just assumed it was my friends mobo not working properly or something and by the time I set up this rig it would be in the past.... Rafiki was wrong, just because its in the past doesn't mean it doesn't matter. This same problem started up with my new SKT600 mobo that came in today. I tried everything. I flashed to the newest bios I tried to manually install downloaded drivers etc. Some of the adding problems is there is no mouse to select in the device manager to install drivers. Its like a horror story and I know it would work with other connection types (USB or serial). After doing some research some people complained of theses same symptoms and claimed that both USB mice worked and USB mice with a PS2 converter worked. I dont have money to go spending on mice, and this mouse has always worked before, I just don't understand why it wont install drivers for it. I've tried repluggin it in for windows to see, rebooting you name it I prolly done it. IF ANYONE COULD PLEASE OFFER ME THEIR KIND AND INFINATE WISDOM THAT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

A few more things you should know, I tested the mouse on other rigs and it works fine, and the mouse lights up with power etc when plugged in.

Its a dynapoint cheapo h3003 mouse (dont laugh it has always worked amazing for me even in extreme gaming).

Thanx for reading my life problems compiled into one of the longest posts ever.

Had a similar problem with my shuttle pc when i installed service pack 2 on xp pro. If you have sp 2 installed you could try removing it & see if that works.

Anyway I had borrowed a friends gigabyte ga-7xxxx (not sure exactly SIS chipset though) board and put my parts in it for a while and all worked fine except this one little thing.

I'm assuming you uninstalled the previous chipset drivers and reinstalled the new ones specific to that board? SP2 has nothing to do with it.

They were both award bios...
I made sure ps2 was enabled.... and i tried maybe a dozen other solutions but no success.

I checked a whole bunch of things, but for some reason the mouse just would not read... I know the port isn't broken so i am not sure how to tell the story.... I tried reserving the IRQ 12 port instead of auto detect.... I tried to disable the IRQ for USB... I tried everything, I even reflashed to the latest bios version.

Whatever the problem I am still very very interested in a solution. Just so you have an idea of what is going on I bought a new logitech USB mouse with a USB to PS2 converter. Funny thing is the first thing I did with this new mouse is to use the PS2 converter to see if that would work

**side note (even though my motherboard supports up to 8 usb 2.0 ports it only came with the 2 ports built into the back of the mobo... I assumed that they would send ports and cables so I could manually install the others... boy I was wrong, they didnt send me any new ports... I think it should be customary that they have the appopriate wires and ports for all available usb ports when they send it to you... I figured I sould put one with the 4 USB slots in a pci slot and then the other 2 [plus the two on the back of mobo = 8] in the front of my case, but if i want to do that now I have to buy the appopriate wires etc...) **

Well I dont know what it was but on the very fist boot up even before all the way loaded into windows my USB mouse on the PS2 converter immediately worked... Anyway I am not sure what the problem is and i havent tested my old mouse again but maybe since the drivers for the mouse on ps2 are now installed my computer will let me use the old one... Thanx for you help and I look forward to anybody who solved this the right way instead of buying a new mouse to solve your problems..

Just a thought, did you try a different keyboard? While it's unlikely your keyboard is causing a problem, I've recently seen a similar problem (Well, when I arrived it would hang before the POST screen, but before the keyboard worked and the mouse didn't, turned out 1 of the pins from (I believe) the keyboard plug was bent.

your bios and chipset are two different things, answer the question did you uninstall and reinstall the chipset drivers?

not only did i fully uninstall the chipset drivers I also downloaded and installed the latest VIA ones... I am not sure what it was but with a USB mouse in a PS2 converter worked first time it was very frustrating that after all that work i just went and bought a new mouse and it worked instantly.

I also tried a different keyboard that worked. I tried this because I was told that some people experience this problem using a usb mouse. They said that since the bios didn't detect a ps2 keyboard it didnt continue to try to detect a ps2 mouse. Well that didn't work, but I have it working now so i guess that its a chipset or most likely a bios issue...

Drew, your issue is a little... wierd... ;) It sounds to me like you tok all the nessesary steps in troubleshooting your problem. So here is my question, have you tried plugging it back in to the port now that you have hooked up a mouse via the ps2 adapter? If it is a driver issue you now have one installed...

So as I understand it, your motherboard blew up, so you threw another one in and hoped it would all work? If that's the case, this thread is a perfect example of little problems that can arise when you do NOT reinstall Windows after swapping motherboards. That almost always results in little problems like this.

At least its' working now.

Well maybe I didn't make it so clear. My old Asus a7v333 did blow up yes.... And I did install a new chaintech summit skt600, but I didnt just try to run my harddrive as it was before. It was completely formatted with a new install of windows on it so I guess I may never find the reason for this not working...

i have a similar problem. years ago, i lost all 'service' to ps/2 mice in my house. even friends who bring thier compy's over for a LAN party experience this problem. I think its some kinda voodoo hex or something that keeps ps/2 mice from working... i've had to go and stay with usb mice.

hmmm I think that would be hard to pass off to the techies.... How would they explain that in customer support. "I am sorry sir, but it appears your house is under a vodoo hex and unfortunately we have no solution for you."

But then again this may be an insight into supernatural beings....

I seem to have that "voodoo hex" thing with floppy drives lol. One thing to check is to be sure that the PS2 end of the mouse is seating into the PS2 port of the mobo all the way. I have had instances to where I didnt get the mobo positioned to where it seated into the backplate fully and had problems with mice and keyboards as a result. You have a much longer plug for a usb connector so it would give you less problems. Check that, sometimes the simplest things can cause very big problems.

Back