• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best cheap ($40-$80) bookshelf speaks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

b1gs341

Registered
I have an old reciever laying around and since I have heard HT equipment is better than computer audio stuff I thought I might as well get a pair of cheap book shelf speakers rather than buy compariable comp stuff. The reciever is stereo though so I heard you need shielded speakers or something. What speakers would you recommend?

well, you mean per pair? If so then youre really out of luck unless you get em used

I knwo that some people on this forum were getting those HK6Bs on ebay for like 60 shipped a pair but they dont have any left. Thats why I asked. How much is it to get a cheap pair normally?

That receiver will be plenty powerful to drive some bookshelf speakers. There is one auction for a set of HKB6's on ebay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14991&item=5735664225&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Otherwise you could brows around www.audiogon.com for some used speakers. You might be able to find a pair of paradigm titans or atoms for around $80 or so. There are a lot of good bookshelf speakers that you can get used but you just gotta check around a lot. Personnaly I wouldnt get used speakers on ebay. I would rather get them from Hometheaterforum.com or audiogon.com but thats just me.

Ryan

Before they were selling them factory direct so it was actually be sold directly from HK. Thats what I was talking about.

Last edited:
You'll wanna stay away from Cerwin Vega. They use VERY cheap parts and the sound quality isn't very good. I realize the HKB6's on ebay arent from HK direct but does that really matter? The HKB6's will be far better than the cerwin vegas. The first link Zabomb had was for the infinty alpha 20's i believe. They run about $120 plus shipping and are pretty decent book shelf speakers. I would seriously consider them if you can expand your budget to $150 (thats around what they will cost with shipping). There are also some HKB4's on ebay right now. They run a bit cheaper than the B6's and are pretty good for the price.

Ryan

the first link was to the JBL N24's that sold on harman audio for 90$. Since i posted the link they have sold out and the link no longer works. The N24 and HKB4 are nearly the exact same speaker (same frequency range, weight, crossover, ect)

If you get a chance, stop by your local Radioshack and ask if they have anymore of their Linaeum Omnipole Bookshelf Speakers anymore. The final versions were well regarded for the money, and at $29.97 each on clearance you'll be hardpressed to find a better deal in sound anywhere. Good looking, with a 5" composite driver, and a omnipole tweeter, they sound great and can hold their own with or without the pairing of a subwoofer (though I strongly suggest you get one for complete response)
Aside from that, I doubt Radioshack will ever have any other speakers worth buying-all they sell are Pioneer and Sony units now. :-/

I was just starting to consider buying those Dayton BR-1s when I noticed that you have to assemble them and they aren't shielded. Will not being shielded affect use around a monitor. Also I have no expirience building speakers or soldering wire. Is it expensive to do/can I learn to easily so I wouldnt be woried about wasting $140.

Last edited:
Actually they are still available at a number of local stores. I was able to pick up 7 brand new ones, as well as a brand new center less than 8 months ago. They are also blowing out the RCA subs for great prices (8" 60 watt for $49) Let me know if you want some of the Bookshelf speakers and I'll buy up what remaining ones I can. :santa2:

Back