• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does windows 98 have wireless networking? ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

__Game_Start__

Disabled
OK i'm the campus computer fix it guy more or less - and have lost points in that field for this scenerio
My college (SUNY Farmingdale) runs on a wireless network - 802.11b (cheap bastards won't upgrade to G)

A person with an old compaq computer with 64mb of ram windows 98 wanted me to install their wireless card. i could not get it to work on their machine (the card was brand new) - so the card was given away to another person with an old windows 98 machine. again NO AVAIL! - i felt sorry for him so i lent him one of my wireless cards and again no avail!

Does windows 98 not have native wireless support ? is there a way to install it ? please help!

It doesnt have native support, but in conjunction with the wireless software and the drivers, it should work. I have had a Dlink 802.11G wireless PCI card on a 98 machine, and it worked fine.

the drivers install (from the factory cd and from the website yes i tried both) fine but on the first card (linksys) ut shows the (!) symbol when you check it in the device manager, and on the motorolla card it doesnt have that so the drivers installed fine , but no wireless

Only XP has 'native' wireless support, you have to install the drives and the client utility for the wireless card in order to be able to configure the wireless settings (ssid and such).

Back