• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why no 15k SATA HD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Good question. I'm sure we'll see them eventually, but the best answer is probably because of noise. In a big data center where people don't live, noise doesnt really matter, but for a home computer it does (to some, personally i dont mind the noise)

gustav said:
Good question. I'm sure we'll see them eventually, but the best answer is probably because of noise. In a big data center where people don't live, noise doesnt really matter, but for a home computer it does (to some, personally i dont mind the noise)

Exactly what I was thinking. The whole reason I sold my IBM Ultrastar 15k rpm drive was because it sounded like I threw a brick at a wall whenever it was accessed. :)

-Collin-

Fluid dynamic bearings really make a big difference in terms of noise in high rpm drives. My seagate 15K SCSI is actually fairly quiet, especially compared to the 10K running next to it.

I'd speculate that the reason you don't see 15K SATA drives yet is more due to percieved retail market demand and the potential impact on the existing enterprise market, which returns a much higher profit margin.

I also think it has to do with marketing, like hafa says. If I'm not mistaken, the 10k SATA raptors are just OEM, not really directed at the mainstream of home computer users.

If those aren't directed at the general computering public, then they might figure why even think of 15k ones? 1. Its gonna cost an arm and a leg. 2. Its gonna have a very small size (16GB I'm GUESSING) 3. If there's anyone hardcore enough to use it, they might as well just use the SCSI drives.

neonblingbling said:
I also think it has to do with marketing, like hafa says. If I'm not mistaken, the 10k SATA raptors are just OEM, not really directed at the mainstream of home computer users.

If those aren't directed at the general computering public, then they might figure why even think of 15k ones? 1. Its gonna cost an arm and a leg. 2. Its gonna have a very small size (16GB I'm GUESSING) 3. If there's anyone hardcore enough to use it, they might as well just use the SCSI drives.

There is a retail version, but its not sold as often. why bother? all you get is a box. The reason why people dont use scsi on desktops is because most dont have 64bit pci slots, and they're hard to set up sometimes. It would be nice to have a 15k sata, but it will probably then compete with the scsi market, or not be profitable enough for the pc market. like i said we may see them sometime, but not any time soon.

The main reasons are

1) Not enough OEM demand to make it worth it. All drive makers learned their lesson when they released 7200 RPM ATA drives. They thought the OEMs would jump at them but the OEM's responded with "the uninformed public does not need 7200 rpm drives so we don't want them". It took 3 years and 5 generations before they became fairly standard on everyday PC's so no manufacturer will make 15K SATA until Dell or HP ask them to.

2) The drive makers most capable of creating a successful (ie quite, fast and reliable) 15K drive already make good money in the SCSI/FC world and don't want to hurt their high dollar sales with a drive that would be required to cost less to since it would not be perceived by the public to be the same quality of a SCSI drive.

so no manufacturer will make 15K SATA until Dell or HP ask them to.
Agreed, unless its a big market then we wont see em. They want money they dont care about our needs as much as this kind of performance, the typical user sees hard drive store space, not RPM when they buy.

lol this is weird...my raptor isnt very loud (louder than a normal hard drive, but not bad, cant notice it over the system fans) but it doesnt run hot, yet my seagate 160gb 7200rpm 8mb cache sata drive runs hotter than hell...cant hold my finger on it for more than 10 seconds - gets too hot, like a cpu heatsink almost.

Schalldampfer said:
...it runs extremely hot, also, almost burning to the touch.

Gustav said:
...sata drive runs hotter than hell...

Bit of a threadjack, sorry...I'm a staunch advocate of hard drive cooling, and 10k and > drives really benefit from it. It does not take much, just a slow-rotating fan blowing over the drive will drop the temps drastically.

In terms of raptor noise, I've built 5 systems with the Raptor as the system drive and not had any issues with noise. But then again, I employ rubber drive isolation mounts in all of my builds and these have a profound effect in reducing transmission of drive noise through the case.

Now if you want a noisy drive, try the 10K Seagate Chettah SCSI..sounds like a cement mixer... :p

I just went to a SATA drive and am happy with that. It would be nice to start seeing some faster load times though than what is available to us atm. The hdd dates back to the 60's technology and could really stand for some improvements.

TUK101 said:
I just went to a SATA drive and am happy with that. It would be nice to start seeing some faster load times though than what is available to us atm. The hdd dates back to the 60's technology and could really stand for some improvements.

<MILD RANT>
Back in the 60s they were pouring iron oxide mixtures on spinning disks from dixie cups. Trust me they have made enormous improvements. I mean look at what the hard drive does. The heads fly over the media at a distance measured in angstroms, the data is recorded at an incredible density and the read circuits use complex yet very fast signal amplification and error correction algorithms. All hard drives are just small computers with custom data storage attached.

I can guarantee that the overall technology improvements in the hard drive are far more advanced than anything else in your PC (and about even with the processor). Just to stay on the fore front of storage technology, drive makers are pushing the limits of known physics and chemistry and they still have to deliver these technological triumphs at commodity prices. Look at what you pay for a top of the line drive vs cam corder, LCD projector or even a big screen TV. None these rely on difficult to master technology yet the best of all of them cost way more than the best hard drive.
</MILD RANT>

Back