• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Setting up SATA on this board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rich_T

Hi,

Motherboard is AV8

Having problems setting an OS on my raptor sata. Do I need to use the floppy disk as I keep getting a read error? Any other way around it?

When I press tab at post I can see my drive so I know its working.

Rich

I see, so its normal booting straight to floppy from POST for it to say disk read error?

The temp floppy i had has packed up so im getting a new one today

Rich

Rich_T said:
I see, so its normal booting straight to floppy from POST for it to say disk read error?

The temp floppy i had has packed up so im getting a new one today

Rich

yes, that's normal. you won't want to put the floppy in the drive until the windows setup begins to load its files.

that floppy is not a boot disk, so if you try and boot from it you will get an error. It contains the drivers windows needs to operate SATA, allowing you to load windows onto an SATA drive.

Thanks, it worked. However, The list was made up of Intel, SIS (I think) and VIA. All had options of winxp,2003 etc

Im installing WinXP but the via driver could not be installed (under WINXP) so I selected 2003 and got into windows. If I just update the drivers now will it all be OK? I mean, Will there be any conflicting errors etc.

Thanks

Rich

You can update your Sata drivers once windows is loaded. The intel sis Via bit had to do with what sata controller your motherboard has. You should look for the sata driver for your specific board, it will probably be on the companies website or something.

Back