• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Xeons Vs FX55

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would say the FX55 probably. The dual Xeons would wipe the floor with the FX55 for encoding and multitasking though.

Hmm by how much would the FX55 take the lead, do you know if their are any benchies out there?? thx for the reply

Xplos!ve said:
Hmm by how much would the FX55 take the lead, do you know if their are any benchies out there?? thx for the reply

Well.. I have no benches to hand, but seeing as most games arent multithreaded you could probably say a Xeon 3.06GHz dual CPU system would perform in games as a 3.06GHz Pentium 4B would.

FX-55 definitely. the dual xeon setup will cost you about twice as much, and will give you better performance for serving and number-crunching, but for gaming the single athlon 64 will do a lot better. plus it won't require ECC RAM (which means faster operation).

xeon boards based on 875P chipset do not require ECC, so that isn't really true. But still, the FX55 is better for gaming.

If your considering dual processor why not look at opterons ?

Last edited:
sevendevilhell said:
FX-55 definitely. the dual xeon setup will cost you about twice as much, and will give you better performance for serving and number-crunching, but for gaming the single athlon 64 will do a lot better. plus it won't require ECC RAM (which means faster operation).

Dual XEONS will be about the same, if not a bit less than an FX55.

The XEONS will be a little slower in games but not much. Other than gaming, they will kill that FX55 in anything you can throw at them. If either we offered to me, Id take the XEONS, no hesitation.

if i had the choice id go with the fx55 cuz i dont care if some stupid apps loads 2 nanoseconds faster or a file extraction taking 4 seconds longer .. i DO care tht when im playin hl2 runnin lag free maxed ...

FX-55 BABY <<<

koss20100 said:
if i had the choice id go with the fx55 cuz i dont care if some stupid apps loads 2 nanoseconds faster or a file extraction taking 4 seconds longer .. i DO care tht when im playin hl2 runnin lag free maxed ...

FX-55 BABY <<<

Try almost twice as fast. XEONS will encode/decode video/audio so much faster than an FX-55 your head will spin. It will also run more appliactions faster, and run more 'stuff'

If you ask me, gaming is over rated, as no one uses their computer for only games, yet there are people out their that base their entire purchase around games.

Dual XEONS > FX-55 Overall End of Story.

If all you do is game, buy an XBOX.

{PMS}fishy said:
Try almost twice as fast. XEONS will encode/decode video/audio so much faster than an FX-55 your head will spin. It will also run more appliactions faster, and run more 'stuff'

If you ask me, gaming is over rated, as no one uses their computer for only games, yet there are people out their that base their entire purchase around games.

Dual XEONS > FX-55 Overall End of Story.

If all you do is game, buy an XBOX.

1.ya well no one encodes all the time ...
2.not many main stream apps are multithread ....
3.ppl buy video card for gaming which in my case was more expensive than my cpu ..
4. Dual Opterons > Dual Xeons
5. Yes it might make apps run faster .. by a couple nano seconds wow .. tht helps

FX-55 > Dual Xeon

koss20100 said:
1.ya well no one encodes all the time ...
2.not many main stream apps are multithread ....
3.ppl buy video card for gaming which in my case was more expensive than my cpu ..
4. Dual Opterons > Dual Xeons
5. Yes it might make apps run faster .. by a couple nano seconds wow .. tht helps

FX-55 > Dual Xeon

1. No one games all the time.
2. They don't have to be. Open 2 different apps, and you are all ready utilizing 2 CPUs.
3. High End VC, tend to cost more than mid range CPUs.
4. Opterons were not an option, it also depends on the benchmark.
5. Its more than nano seconds. Don't knock it till you have tried it. Ask anyone in the SMP section, with a dually rig, if they would trade for an FX-55. They would all laugh at you.

Besides gaming, all I do on my computer is go on the internet and listen to music.

Everyone has their own requirements for a computer. You can argue benchmarks all you want, what it comes down to is what the user can afford, and what they're specifically looking for the computer to do.

{PMS}fishy said:
Also Dual Opterons were not an option.

Opterons and Fx's are the exact same chip as you may already know. If dual processors is an option and a single Opteron is an option. why are both options in concert not viable?

zabomb4163 said:
Opterons and Fx's are the exact same chip as you may already know. If dual processors is an option and a single Opteron is an option. why are both options in concert not viable?

Xplos!ve said:
What would be better for gaming, Dual Xeon 3.06ghz 533fsb or a sinlge Athlon FX55?? thx

Where did he mention dual Opterons? Thats all Im saying.

Ok, you're trying to compare nectarines and peaches to kumquats. Neither CPU is designed for gaming. Why the heck would you want to use workstation CPU's to game with? As for the benchmarks, I'd like to see some gaming benchmarks for all three CPU's. 3dmark, Auqamark, whatever, just make sure you include all three. Dual Xeon's, Dual Xeon MP's, and FX's.

Back