• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to seti

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

creepy

My question was answered but I Just thought id say I decided to join the SETI team tonight. Currently im only running the program on one machine but by the end of the month I should have 5-6 going strong :attn: . Just have to find room to fit them all in my room.

I have another question. Do I have to be constantly conencted to the internet while running the client or only when getting and sending data?

Last edited:
creepy said:
I have another question. Do I have to be constantly conencted to the internet while running the client or only when getting and sending data?
Greetings from up the street in Austin and welcome to the team. No, you do not have to be connected. Just be sure that you set the number of days to connect in your account to 3-5 in order to maintain enough work. When you do a manual update while connected it will send your completed work and download new wu's.

welcome to the team and one of the most addicting things you can do...

i am serious about the above because when i started i thought "hey i will put it on my 2.8 for a little while and then probably take it off" lol now i have like 6 computers crunching it and am always trying to find people to crunch for me... hehe

Just some info on the machines ill be running for those that are interested. This is just as of now. I also have other motherboards and cpus laying around which will soon be thrown together.

athlon64 3000+ -- still in the closet has to be installed waiting on water block

athlon xp 2000+ @ 2.6ghz

celeron 1.3ghz @ 1.6ghz -- reformating as I type this its an old machine my stepsister was using and she had it so loaded with spyware windows took 10min to load

athlon duron (i think) 1.3ghz -- might use depends on if I can find a way to control how much cpu usage the program uses

pentium ___ 133 mhz -- will it get the job done slowly but surley?

celeron 466mhz

pentium m 1.7ghz

if anyone wants specs down to memory,hdd,etc ill be glad to post

No hsf as well so I cant get too far with it. As of now im using the xp 2k+ @2.6 and the celeron @ 1.6.

I like this a lot more than folding. You can actually see some progress :attn: I like the gui better as well.

Is the seti@home BOINC just another program used to crunch or something along the lines of that?

BOINC, Berkely Open Infrastructure for Network Computing.

BOINC is the new platform for SETI to operate under. It uses a new credit system that takes into consideration the amount of CPU time and CPU power to calculate it. It also compares your results to 2 other computers results to verify your work and then will give you the credit thats usually in the middle of the 3.

BOINC also allows one to participate in multiple computing projects, which my sig lists some.

Also, BOINC is going to be the only way to run SETI eventually as they are going to shut down the original version once they feel BOINC can take on the load.

BOINC SETI http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Added: Thread from SETI BOINC site also explaining about BOINC and its benefits http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/forum_thread.php?id=7331#53929

Last edited:
Back