• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tornado threatening life, please help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shuRe

Ok, got my 2nd hand Tornado (80mm) from ebay, and cut half way down the yellow wire with the connector on. I did this so that i could attach what looks like the exact same yellow wire that i cut off another fan with its connector.

So i have another connector and half yellow lead that makes the lead longer so i can reach my fan controller.

Problem is my fan controller will read the rpm, but cant change it!! And the same goes when i plug it into my mobo and try to change the speeds thro speedfan.

What should i do??

ok i tried the connector it came with, no change, can these tornado's not be contolled????

Best bet unless SSS has already helped is to build a reoshat instead of using speedfan IMO. I have never used speedfan to change the speed of a fan I really wish I knew how tho cause I sure would like my tornado to so 100cfm instead of 80 :D.

I think radio shack sells individual pots used to control voltage (which is used by the rheostats). You could get one of those and solder the wires to the connectors and find somewhere like the back of the case or be creative to mount it somewhere.

Speedfan will not control the fans speed unless the power is also coming from the board. This you can not do however due to the power draw of the Tornado. Just because you now have speed monitoring, doesnt mean you can control the speed. Like what was said above, you need a fan controller.

i have a fan controller, but not sure if that works by the way that the fan has to be powered through that, and not through a molex connector. I have tried just using the fan controller to power the fan, but obviosly it doesnt work as the 3pin connector only has one yellow wire going to it. Im not sure if a rheostat would be the same or not, but im guessing it would be

To control speed, you need to do something to either the +12V or ground. The yellow RPM wire is just to read RPM, and that doesn't do anything. Connect the fan through the fan controller (+12V and ground) and you're good to go! Just make sure the fans power draw doesn't exceede the power the fan controller is rated at.

POT's regulate speed by burning energy as heat. So a powerful fan, slowd down, means a very hot pot.. Go with PWM controll like most modern fan controllers are..

Tornado Tamer... www.allelectronics.com CAT# RHE-15

Install guides..

http://www.bit-tech.net/article/56/

http://www.cpemma.co.uk/rheo.html

rheo.bmp

please don't quote my pic..You can make a copy of it ..:) *Click pic to enlarge*

Last edited:
Or make a 12V/7V switch. Nothing heating up, and a good taming of the beast, even if it isn't adjustable between moren then two levels..

Back