• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oc'ed TbredB = Trouble with HDD!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Andreas1327

This morning i Oc'ed my TbredB XP 2400+ from it's 2.2 Ghz (133x 16.5) to 2.24 Ghz (166x 13.5). The Vcore that was stable was 1.75 V and everything run fine. Sandra burn wizard didn't have any problems games run beautifully and everything was fine. Until the moment i used my second HDD. I have a WD800JB as the master with OS and Programs and an WD300BB with mp3's videos and stuff. After the OC the 300BB couldn't read any file right. I did checkdisk and during the test it erased a bunch of files (mp3's !!). I entered safe mode and then after a second check it erased more!!(luckily the 90 % is burnt on CD's). After two attempts to format (couldn't perform the format) I got everything to stock and then everything worked fine. I formatted the drive and copied some things in it.Everything fine.When I OC again the same problems appear. Note that at any speed at 166 FSB the 300BB doesn't work right while the 800JB works at any FSB perfectly.I searched WD for a firmware but nothing.Could you help me??? The performance increase is big!! I don't wanna lose 166!!

Hmm. Make sure that your PCI frequency, if adjustable, is at 33MHz in the bios. It's possible that your processor is still unstable even after Sandra's burn in. I reccommend running Prime95 on prioity 10 over night. This may be a long shot, but it might be possible your CPU is hogging so much power from your power supply that it can't keep up, and is starving other devices of power. What is your power supply?

I thought of the pci Mhz.At 166 FSB the pci runs at 33 Mhz.Nothing exceptr the CPU gets overclocked at 166 FSB.everything else runs at stock the pci the agp and the HDD. The thought about the PSU is interesting but not true. I will answer that. I have a 300 W PSU and i know that it's just adequate but... it runs for over a year at 2200 Mhz (133x16.5 ) at Vcore 1.75 V. When running at 166x13.5 the Vcore is set at 1.75V so there is no difference for the PSU. About the prime 95 no I haven't tried because I don't have the program (I once did but now it's gone) but... even if I raise the Vcore to 1.8V or even at 1.825V the problem remains.I also tried to raise the RAM volts or the northbridge volts.NOTHING! The second HDD fails. The PC works fine at 166x13.5 1.75Vcore except the second HDD.the first one works fine.I was playing NFSU 2 for 2 hours and it didn't froze once! The only thing I'm thinking of is the fact that the WD300BB is about 2 years older than the WD800JB. But again since the IDE bus frequency is the same at 100 133 166 200 or even 2000!!! FSB and it is equal to 33 Mhz what is the problem????

Thought of that too. There are no signs but if the time has come why it works fine when the FSB is at 133 no matter the multiplier?? At 166 FSB it refuses to work right.just that.No matter if it runs at 166 x 3 or 166 x 30!!

Anyone has any ideas why this is happening? In 2 days I'm gonna buy a new PSU at about 400W.Do u think that this might solve it?I do'nt but it's worth a try.

bchur83 said:
At 133 FSB, the FSB:AGP:pCI ratio is at 4:2:1. At 166mhz, you need 5:2:1. The KT400 chipset wont automatically adjust it to the right ratio.

I remember my asus a7v8x(kt400) would switch to a pci divider of 5 automatically at 166mhz so i don't think the pci frequency is the problem here.

It's possible you reached the limit of the power supply. At 166mhz your ram and northbridge use up more power than at 133mhz. Why don't you lower the multiplier to 10 and lower the vcore as much as you can and see if the hard drive works. This might free up some power if that's really the problem, or try disconnecting your cd rom power temorarily.

When you set it to 166mhz, did you set it in BIOS or did you change JP31 to 2-3?

I had a similar problem with my old hard drive. My overclocked 1700+ T-Bred B was running fine for around 6 months or so. Then all of a sudden my 40gb Maxtor hard drive kept on giving me corrupt file errors. It was a gradually corruption of file, music files, program files, games, etc. I still have the hard drive, but I haven't used it for anything since this incident. To solve my problem, I just installed Windows onto another hard drive.

I am using the exact same rig right now, except for different hard drives. My sweet spot on my tbred-b is 12.5x166 @ 1.5v, its been 100% ever since I got it in early 2003.

bchur83 said:
Maybe that drive can handle the higher PCI bus, and the other cant. It is just like different video cards that can handle more than 66mhz AGP busses.

Exactly. Different harddrives can handle a different PCI bus.

kct2 said:
When you set it to 166mhz, did you set it in BIOS or did you change JP31 to 2-3?

I set it to BIOS. I know about the JP31 but every time I set it to 2-3 pins it refuses to boot. I tried it with the default BIOS settings, I tried it with the FSB to 166 but nothing. The mem is not a problem because I'm trying it with various mem settings but again nothing. When I'm setting the JP31 to 2-3 it just can't boot. I've sent a mail to Chaintech and I'm waiting..

maybe its because he has no PCI/AGP lock on that chip. 166MHz a little too much juice?
try putting it at 133 and see if that does the trick, if so you know its the frequency.
if not, id believe its dieing.

Andreas1327 said:
Yes maybe the second drive can't handle the raised FSB.SANDRA reports agp freq to 83 and PCI to 41.5!!!!

That is definately the problem. When you set the FSB in the bios on that board it is not changing the AGP/PCI divider, that is what the jumper is for. It is probably not booting because the 2400+ is a 266mhz FSB chip, and it is reading that directly off the chip. Maybe try the L12 mod to change it to a 166mhz FSB chip.

ps2cho -try reading the whole thread - that all has been covered.

I've heard for that mod but I don't remember how to perform it.I know there is a certain site for this. Could you address it?

Back