• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's the peice called that the AC adaptor plugs into?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foxie3a

Normal Member
Where's the laptop section? :/

I got a laptop today, I got it working after a while, but that's only one the battery, thankfully its at 100% charge though.

Oddly, the peice the AC adaptor plugs into is missing! Its not there, as simple as that. I can plug it in, but it just hangs there, then falls out, there is clearly no metal touching it, I can see a hollow area in there with my flashlight.

Looks like I need to buy a new one, but what is it called? Where can I find one? my google and ebay searches came up blank.

Its an HP ZE1250 laptop. AXP 1.53ghz.

What brand/model laptop did you get and where did you get it from??

It should be called either AC jack , AC port, or AC connector, BUT IT SHOULD BE STANDARD!!!!!!

DWolf:cool:

AC Jack, I read that in the manual.

HP Pavilion ZE1250

I somewhat opened it, and the rod that goes into the ac adaptor broke lose, and was rolling around in there.

Just a little peice of plastic was keeping it on, then it snapped. I bought it off of ebay.

I need to fully open it to glue that peice back on, although the opposite corner of this one on the back won't budge. I've taken all the screws out, and there is nothing holding it together, but its kinda stuck.

THat corner has the cpu heatsink and is close to the modems.

I used force to get one of the corners open, but force didn't work for this one.

I could try more force, but I'm scared to. Any ideas?

I also have a ZE1250 with a broken AC jack (it still works if you wiggle it just right). In fact, this morning I opened the thing up and took a look (I may be able to fix it with super glue). As far as taking it apart, did you remove the screw under the keyboard (that one took me a while to find, you have to pop out the piece of plastic with the power button, unscrew the keyboard, and remove it). I got it all apart and back together just fine (although I lost a screw), and I'm using it right now (In a week or so I'll try the super glue and see if it still works then).

I saw you posted, and your name came back to me, but I couldn't remember who you were, then I remembered. You'd post in my threads when I joined here like a year ago, it's been a long time, nice to see you again. :)

I'll try taking it apart once more... I didn't find the screw before that you're talking about, so maybe this time it'll come apart.

The metal snapped along with the plastic though, and I'd probably have to solder it back together, then super glue the plastic, it'll be tough, but might be worth it.

Oh, I know that that thing is called... its called...

ssc061.jpg

Duct tape!

With Gnufsh's advice I got the laptop open.

The motherboard is amazingly small, its less than 1/2 of the laptop's size. The heatsink is a joke, there isn't even any thermal compound....not even any fake stuff that doesn't work, there is absolutely nothing.

I sanded the heatsink so it should work a little better, and I'll apply some AS3 later when I put it back on.

It's funny, they have copper right by a vent that blows out, the copper is connected to the heatpipe, that is connected to the cpu's heatsink.... The cpu's heatsink is made out of horrible looking aluminum.. I would have rather put that copper right on the cpu, I'd think it'd cool it much better.

Go figure I have some weird stepping. FQQ3B, I think it was. Came up with nothing good in google. I also dont see a southbridge, everything appears to go into the northbridge, but I guess I'll just call it "the bridge".

Now for the AC adaptor jack. Not only has the plastic cracked, but so has the metal, and the peice fell off. So I'll need to solder the metal back together, and then some how get the plastic back together. I have already straightened out the metal so its touching, and it's ready for my solder tomorrow. Then I plan on using either super glue, or the epoxy I use for heatsink, any recommendations there?

I sure hope that'll hold it in place, a lot of pressure is applied when you put in the AC adaptor all the time, I'll have to be very careful.

This laptop is known to have a heat problem. Mine overheats at full cpu load after a few hours if I don't use my laptop cooling pad thing. Let me know if playing with the HSF and adding thermal compound works, I might want to try it. As for the jack, you may be able to buy one that you can make work. If not, the epoxy will probably be stronger than the glue.

edit: And hey, it's nice to be remembered.

I was debating how to keep it glued on there. I remembered my plastic cement from when I attempted to make a model airplane. It ended up pretty nice actually, it was an F-16 and its paint was accurate to the real one, I used to love aviation. Then when I got bored I tested its flying ability.....It is only a model, it does not function like the real thing. lol

I am going to use the epoxy since the plastic cement warns that it is flamable.

The soldering is going to be hard. If the solder falls on down onto the motherboard it lands on a whole bunch of little stuff, and it'll probably kill the motherboard. I'll have to build some kind of dam to stop it if it does fall down.

Do you think that the epoxy will hold it in place even after hundreds of times of plugging the adaptor in? I dont want it to just snap off all of a sudden.

I did find the little peice in tact on ebay, but that would require me sticking and soldering it onto the motherboard, which looks way too hard to do.

Also, do you think that I could replace this processor with a newer one? I know about power requirements, and heat issues, but maybe like a later stepping 1800+... I wouldn't want to take it all apart again though if the BIOS didn't like the new stepping.

Now I'll go try this, I really hope it works...

I think you probably could upgrade the processor.I'm curious to see if a mobile barton would work. I may buy one in the next month or so for my desktop. If I do, I'll give it a try.

I'm not sure how long the epoxy would hold up. Maybe if you attached more plastic to the outside to reinforce it? Or, leave a lot of epoxy on the out side, it's fairly strong when it hardens (well, it's plastic when it hardens). But, whatever you do, be extra careful afterwards.

I worked on it for 3 hours today, and the outcome is...............

IT WORKS!!!!!

First I epoxied it together. I epoxied one side to the motherboard, since it broke off the mobo on that side, and the otherside was glued to the broken plastic. So far it's holding up just fine. Then, I soldered the metal back together, which is very difficult because of the position of it, but I did it.

Then another 3 hours went to deleting all of the AOL icons they put on there... lol

The jack doesn't even move when I plug it in, but I am being EXTREMELY careful with it.

One odd thing happened though. I was just sitting there, then it went into hibernation because the battery was supposedly low. It was at 40%, but I turned off hibernation... It booted up afterward, but went into hibernation again, and kept doing that, I manually shut it off, then back on and it worked fine. I wonder if it was a one time thing, or if it'll happen again. I can't say it isn't software though, because I havn't played with it too much, and the OS is from HP....

It sure does get hot, I havn't installed anything fun on there yet to run diagnostics, but I will once I get the NICs working.

I dont think a barton will work in there, its just too new. I looked at the revision of my laptop, and oddly enough its "3a"... heh...The color of the processor in mine is brown, I remember there are greens ones, so which one is newer?

They're called barrel plugs and they come in different sizes per voltage. !2V barrel plugs come in 2.1mm and 2.5mm sizes.
You can by receptacles from Radio Shack or Mouser if you have any further problems.

About the hibernation thing and the AOL icons. AOL icons means theres something there that doesn't need to be there! Okay I know Dell does this, but I do not know about HP's I have built many computers and bought many brand new premade computers. Most of the premade computers come with unneeded software and even some spyware! On all premade computers I reformat before I do anything to it. Just a little tip. (it may also fix the hibernation thing, i just turn off hibernation period though[right click desktop, proporties, screensaver, power and it should be somewhere in there])

So far it's working fine. Battery is at 100% right now and everything seems fine.

It hasn't tried hibernating since, although it hasn't gone down to the 40% range either.

Back