• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New homemade block (pics)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EgeWorks

I just finished this new block for my new system. It's all copper with brass fittings. Took me a few days of and on. At least I have a drill press now! My last block was made using an electric drill. I made an add-on mounting plate so it can be tightened from the centre. This is for Socket-A by the way.

BlockChannel.jpg
Block.jpg
MountingPlateAngle.jpg

BlockCompleteSide.jpg
BlockComplete.jpg

Nice. How did you build it? Did you solder small ran sinks in there? carefull with that mounting, looks like you could crush something pretty easily with that...

It is all soldered together, but the top is sealed with a gasket and screws so it can be cleaned. The ramsinks I lapped off the nickel coating on the bottoms of them so they would stick properly. They are about the closest thing I could get to proper channels without a mill. I hope it works well too, there is a fair amount of flow (tested it for leaks). Pic of base coming right up.

Base

It's pretty rough around the edges which I'm unhappy about, but the area over the CPU is smooth and flat, lapped up to 1000 grit. Who's going to see it once it's mounted right;) BTW the hairy barbs are from the polishing cloth, I only saw them after I took the pic.

Base.jpg

I like the idea of using a thin base plate and then a drilled body plate and then the top plate. I think you might have reinspired me to start thinking about building my own WB's again :D.

The stacked design, baseplate, centreplate and top, is def the way to go with homemade non-milled blocks. Makes it far easier and there is little performance loss if the base and centre plates are soldered together.

I made a prototype a while back and used JBweld to join the plates, it worked ok but heat transfer wasn't as good. Also not sure how long JBWeld lasts when exposed to antifreeze. Also not too sure if it expands when heated, somehow I don't think it does, which could lead to cracking.

Back