• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will this run in dual channel?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
wow I should totally mention that to the guy I built it for, who wanted to go with a 754 setup, all I argued was future upgradability and the smaller core would allow for greater overclocking....thanks fellers :)

treepop said:
wow I should totally mention that to the guy I built it for, who wanted to go with a 754 setup, all I argued was future upgradability and the smaller core would allow for greater overclocking....thanks fellers :)

While the last statment isn't true, yeah it's probably best. That said socket 754 still rocks.

As i, and many other forum goers can tell you. :)

Grov said:
While the last statment isn't true, yeah it's probably best. That said socket 754 still rocks.

As i, and many other forum goers can tell you. :)

Actually, he is correct to assume that a 90nm chip brings greater o/c potential. Provided some good ram and power supply, that 3000+ should be able to hit 2.6 fairly easy. Of course, this is of no guaruntee (as not everyone is that successful), but the same cannot be said for a comparable chip based on the single channel core.

deception``

Hmmmm, ya reckon. Id love to see how many winchester owners have 2.6ghz. :clap:

Grov said:
Hmmmm, ya reckon. Id love to see how many winchester owners have 2.6ghz. :clap:

It's actually not that hard, really. And the main reason why there are people not reaching such high clocks is usually due to the lack of the necessary premium parts to do so. In other words, not everyone has the best memory and/or power supply necessary for such an overclock. Of course, there are a few dud chips out there, but this can be said across every platform.

deception``

And with that said a NC Newcastle with the best memory, DFI board and PSU, would pretty much hit 2.6ghz as well.

Not to mention the fact ive heard these winchesters can have crappy mem controllers.

When you say how far they o/c you really need to be a bit more conservative, as a lot fewer will hit 2.6ghz than you say.

Its not like you see NCs at 2.6 everywhere either. And in addition the Winchesters run cooler.

Grov said:
And with that said a NC Newcastle with the best memory, DFI board and PSU, would pretty much hit 2.6ghz as well.

Not to mention the fact ive heard these winchesters can have crappy mem controllers.

When you say how far they o/c you really need to be a bit more conservative, as a lot fewer will hit 2.6ghz than you say.

While I share your enthusiasm about the Lanparty UT, even that board cannot pull 2.6+ Ghz out of a 3000+ s754 chip. Even most DTR's have trouble reaching such speeds. It's not uncommon to find a 3000+ or 3200+ DTR reaching 2.55 Ghz, but 2.6 is another issue. Your best chances of hitting 2.6 ghz on s754 is with a 3400+ or higher processor, but even your high-end cpu is proof that this is not easily obtainable.

deception``

I am thinking of getting him a fortron 350 and as for the memory...you can always run it in a lower ratio then 1:1 am I correct....to attain the maximum OC......as for cooling I am thinking an xp-90 or xp-120......as for my statement about better overclocks......that would be an in general statement.....seeing as we are not going to get anything greater then a panaflo fan either 92mm for the xp-90 or 120mm for the xp-120...this leaves us in the less then stellar cfm and cooling area and seeing as the 90nm will probably run cooler then the 130nm core seeing as the 90nm also uses less vcore....1.3vcore from what I have seen...I feel we would more likely attain 2.4ghz on the 90nm core then the 130nm........and even if this werent the case.....the fact that clock for clock the 939 is a better setup seeing as it has dual channel...........and I think the MSI neo2 plat is on par with the DFI GB 250........as far as stock vs stock mobo's go( not to say the msi mobo can attain as stellar a OC as the famed DFI, but close enough for gov work ;) ) anywho...I am glad to hear that the 939 is dual channel on top of the aformentioned reasons :)..and again thanks for the input

1. Go for a Fortron 530W, instead. A 350-watter is not going to run an Athlon 64 optimally.

2. It is true that you do not need a 1:1 ratio to hit high HTT clocks, but it is recommended.

3. 2.4 Ghz should be easy regardless of whether the chip is 90nm or 130nm.

deception``

Steven4563 said:
my mate nick has a socket 754 3200+ and a msi board and a 350watt FSP runs it fine

Notice that I said optimally. In other words, it should run ok at stock, but attempts to overclock (which he did in fact acknowledge) will be inhibited due to insufficient power. This will also be realized even quicker if a high-end card makes its way into the equation.

deception``

Steven4563 said:
well its doing ok now at 2.4ghz (stock cooling) and a 9800pro with lots of other stuff in there

A 9800 doesn't place nearly as much stress on a unit as a higher-end card such as a 6800 or x800. I'm almost positive that, if he were to ever upgrade his card, he would be sure to run into problems. I don't mean to sound so negative; rather, I am simply speaking out of experience on both 32-bit and 64-bit systems.

deception``

deception`` said:
While I share your enthusiasm about the Lanparty UT, even that board cannot pull 2.6+ Ghz out of a 3000+ s754 chip. Even most DTR's have trouble reaching such speeds. It's not uncommon to find a 3000+ or 3200+ DTR reaching 2.55 Ghz, but 2.6 is another issue. Your best chances of hitting 2.6 ghz on s754 is with a 3400+ or higher processor, but even your high-end cpu is proof that this is not easily obtainable.

deception``

He has a Clawhammer, that might be why ... :thup:

Back