• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Me With a Case :) (first time)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Smoke

Registered
Seems someone else has a similar post but here we go...

I consider myself fairly experienced with computers and comfident in modifying various things relating to them. To date the things I've done in terms hardware related things are: fan installations (including cutting own hole, but this was done off a door so no component removals), fan controller installation, video card installation, RAM...so pretty easy and basic things.

My motherboard is a Intel D875PBZ.
"Form Factor ATX (11.52 inches by 9.6 inches [292.61 mm by 243.84 mm]) "

Some questions firstly...
Question #1: Now websites usually have something like this for cases:
"M/B type: ATX & pentium 4 (MAX SIZE: 12"x9.6") " Does this mean that for this specific case that my motherboard will fit properly and everything will be ok?

Question #2: Kinda related to the previous but how is the motherboad mounted? Yes I realize by screws but I don't understand how there is a max size and this can be adjusted if these are fixed mounting points? Or can you drill your own?

Pluses:
-2 front USB ports
-easily paintable
-good airflow but quiet (ideally I'd like to have anywhere from 2-4 120mm fans, but I'll settle for others if it means cutting holes)
-door for easy access to components

Minuses:
-side window (not a fan)
-LEDs (aside from standard power on, hard drive)
-PSU (already have one don't need another)
-LCD displays (no use)

Also I have 2 harddrives (IDE) and plan on adding a third (SATA) if this matters. I have 2 optical drives but can sacrifice the CD burner as I never use it. Have a floppy also but never use that so can also sacrifice.

Cases I've glanced over thus far:
http://www.bigfootcomputers.com/Mer...en=PROD&Product_Code=7094&Category_Code=300.2

http://www.bigfootcomputers.com/Mer...ROD&Product_Code=7071CSLI&Category_Code=300.2

Questions/comments on those would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for everyones help in advance :)

Your board will fit any ATX case, and the mounting holes are in the same place on every board, it is part of the ATX specs. You can't go wrong with Lian-Li cases, those are two beautiful cases.

Ya I think I'll go with the:
ANTEC SLK1650B BLACK MID-TOWER 3X5.25 5X3.5 ATX12V 350W

Thanks everyone for the help...I'll let you all know how installation goes in a few weeks time.

I already have a Lian Li...but it's full tower...it's just way too big. Not sure what model it is. 120mm in back, 1 lower 80mm, another between HDDs..filter in front...side panel with 2 screws...dunno if that helps.

Well I already have a PSU so it really doesn't matter what it is likely I wont use it.

my $.02
go with a lian-li, that antec case is pretty hideous, and I don't know if you meant you wanted to paint the outside, but painting over black is difficult. Go with a lian-li or a coolermaster or something

If you don't move your LAN too much then go with Full-Tower, more room is always better incase you want to go to watercooling, you can't go wrong with Lian Li. I have Lian Li PC-75 watercooled which I have plenty of room and it looks very darn nice! my next case would be Lian Li PC-V2100B

I dont intend to ever watercool. Just my full case is too much of a pain moving it around.

jcw122 said:
lol i would definately NOT get a case with a cheap generic PSU in it dude

it is not a cheap generic psu. Antec makes the best PSUs and most people here agree with that (just check out the poll). Even if you arent going to use it, its always handy to have a spare psu around for testing or if your main one dies.

Back