• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time to join the 64 club? Opinions please..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Larethus

Well, I have done plenty of reading on various forums and read through quite a few different reviews. I still am having trouble making up my mind though. I am thinking of upgrading to an A64 3500+ 939. From what I understand these overclock pretty well?
My question would be, given my current system specs (see in my signature), in your opinion, would it be highly benificial to upgrade at this point?
Also, what motherboard would you guys recommend? Is the MSI Neo2 still the best choice?

Thanks in advance everyone ;)

You will see a difference, specially if you overclock. But I don't think its worth it at this moment in time. Although I see you got an expensive AGP video card, upgrading to nforce4 or the Radeon 200 chipsets and getting the upcoming E0 90nm CPU (Venice), will be beneficial. But with hardware like yours, you're not really hurting, so waiting 3-6 months is not a bad idea.

I appreciate the replies already :) Keep em coming!
Yeah, I thought about the NForce 4 as well, and how it is around the corner. It doesn't support AGP though does it? I wouldn't be too wild about having to get rid of my current graphics card because it does to quite a nice job :)
Granted, if I waited 6 months I may want a new graphics card then.
Cost really isn't too much of a concern if I actually WILL see a difference, I guess the question is how much of a difference though. I primarily play HL2 DM and World of Warcraft right now (both of which I like to run at 1600x1200). You are right, I'm not really hurting. I just was in the mood for a new toy to play with ;)

No point in waiting for Nforce 4, you have a 6800Ultra.

Depends how far you could clock the A64. 2.5ghz would be a good overclock, not to hard to reach, and would be pretty dam fast. Dunno if you'd notice that much difference. An AXP at 2600Mhz+ is hardly slow.

The Coolest said:
You will see a difference, specially if you overclock. But I don't think its worth it at this moment in time. Although I see you got an expensive AGP video card, upgrading to nforce4 or the Radeon 200 chipsets and getting the upcoming E0 90nm CPU (Venice), will be beneficial. But with hardware like yours, you're not really hurting, so waiting 3-6 months is not a bad idea.
Yep, I second that.
I hate to say this to you, but when you upgrade, make it PCI-Express so you'll be future proof. As you can see, there are now limited upgrade possibilites with your nice AGP video card :-/

I say wait a while for PCI-Express boards to mature and the new SS 90nm s939 chips are out and the prices have dropped and then see what you budget looks like and go from there.

gvblake22 said:
Yep, I second that.
I hate to say this to you, but when you upgrade, make it PCI-Express so you'll be future proof. As you can see, there are now limited upgrade possibilites with your nice AGP video card :-/

I say wait a while for PCI-Express boards to mature and the new SS 90nm s939 chips are out and the prices have dropped and then see what you budget looks like and go from there.

Yeah, the upgrade possibilities are indeed limited. I probably wouldn't have bought this card if it wasn't such a good deal in the first place and I would have stuck with my overclocked 9700pro. I got this card for $450cdn, and I sold my 9700pro for $200. So it was a pretty cheap upgrade ;)
Agreed, that does make the most sense. What I really care about running at optimal speeds is the next Elder Scrolls game and that is a good while off. Everything right now runs pretty nice, World of Warcaft @ 1600x1200 with 8x aniso does drop a bit in some areas though, would be nice to remedy that. Thats is the only game I have noticed a drop in though, and that is only in select areas. A touch annoying none the less ;)

3 weeks ago I was in the same boat you where. I wanted to upgrade but?? what to..
I had a 2600+ Barton running 2600mhz and a 9700Pro.

I decided to try a A64 and bought a 3200+ Winchester, Abit AV8
Well even at stock speed, it creamed my Barton, I was surprised, I could actually see a smoother windows... wow... My Aquamark was 39500 with the Barton overclocked to 2600mhz... With the winnie and the same hardware I hit 42000 stock speed... I was impressed.

I upgraded to a X800 pro and overclocked my 3200+ to 3950+ speeds (2500mhz) and now hit 70900 on Aquamark..

My reasonning, because I also will want NForce4 and PCI-X is that if I get my stuff at a good price I can upgrade in the spring without loosing much. AGP will be in demand for a long time to come..

I have NO regrets...

badge56 said:
3 weeks ago I was in the same boat you where. I wanted to upgrade but?? what to..
I had a 2600+ Barton running 2600mhz and a 9700Pro.

I decided to try a A64 and bought a 3200+ Winchester, Abit AV8
Well even at stock speed, it creamed my Barton, I was surprised, I could actually see a smoother windows... wow... My Aquamark was 39500 with the Barton overclocked to 2600mhz... With the winnie and the same hardware I hit 42000 stock speed... I was impressed.

I upgraded to a X800 pro and overclocked my 3200+ to 3950+ speeds (2500mhz) and now hit 70900 on Aquamark..

My reasonning, because I also will want NForce4 and PCI-X is that if I get my stuff at a good price I can upgrade in the spring without loosing much. AGP will be in demand for a long time to come..

I have NO regrets...

You noticed that much of a difference? hmmmm.... you are tempting me ;)
How do you like the Abit board? Nice overclocking options? Any complaints?
Also instead of trying to find out myself, I'll just ask you - How do you know if it is a Winchester core? What is stepping code?

Here are my thoughts:

1. I have seen the benchmarks between the NF3 and NF4 boards. They are close and no significant gap, except when using SLI. My 6800GT will perform close to one PCI-E video card (if I use the latest NF3 board ).

2. Futureproof investment will have to be the NF4 boards. You will have the latest technology for years to come. It will come with a high price since you will need PCI-E video cards, price range 400-1000 dollars.

3. CPU? The Venice core should be out soon. Officially it should be available in the 4000+ and 4200+ and I believe this will be very expensive. I am waiting for week 45 winchesters to see if they will clock better. If not, then I will go for with winchester 3500+ for better overclockability and price.

Bottom line is there is nothing wrong with both NF3 and NF4 boards. If you have a billion dollars, then go with NF4, if you have a piggy bank, go with NF3 for now, then later get a NF4 when prices drop significantly in a year from now.

Sniper.nkc said:
2. Futureproof investment will have to be the NF4 boards. You will have the latest technology for years to come. It will come with a high price since you will need PCI-E video cards, price range 400-1000 dollars.

3. CPU? The Venice core should be out soon. Officially it should be available in the 4000+ and 4200+ and I believe this will be very expensive. I am waiting for week 45 winchesters to see if they will clock better. If not, then I will go for with winchester 3500+ for better overclockability and price.

Bottom line is there is nothing wrong with both NF3 and NF4 boards. If you have a billion dollars, then go with NF4, if you have a piggy bank, go with NF3 for now, then later get a NF4 when prices drop significantly in a year from now.
How are PCI-Express video cards $400-$1000?! I may be misunderstanding you, but you can get a 6600GT with very good gaming capabilities for less than $200! nForce 4 boards are expensive right now (~$200) because they JUST came out and they are still hard to find.
Give it a few months and NF4 will be down to reasonable prices.

id go for it i just made the jump and once u get the K8N running right it shines. with these crap timings im getting over 1000 points more in 3dmark2001 and HL2 at 1280x1024 runs like a dream thats my A64 at stock 2ghz speeds

You should not upgrade for at least another couple of months or so. Your current sytem will handle everything you throw at it just fine. I'd love to expand on my thoughts, but I have finals to attend to. I can offer you a better answer soon.

deception``

deception`` said:
You should not upgrade for at least another couple of months or so. Your current sytem will handle everything you throw at it just fine. I'd love to expand on my thoughts, but I have finals to attend to. I can offer you a better answer soon.

deception``
Ditto, and I know how what you're goin through with the finals bro :mad:

gvblake22 said:
How are PCI-Express video cards $400-$1000?! I may be misunderstanding you, but you can get a 6600GT with very good gaming capabilities for less than $200! nForce 4 boards are expensive right now (~$200) because they JUST came out and they are still hard to find.
Give it a few months and NF4 will be down to reasonable prices.

I was saying if you get the SLI NF4 board you will need 2 video cards. Minimum investment there is $400 ($200 x 2 = $400).

Sniper.nkc said:
I was saying if you get the SLI NF4 board you will need 2 video cards. Minimum investment there is $400 ($200 x 2 = $400).

This is false. You can very well use an SLI board with just ONE video card, with the option to upgrade to a second card at a later time. This way, one's initial investment need not be so high.

Anandtech said:
The upgrade path for 6800GT owners is even more enticing; if you’ve only got $400 to spend on a card today you can’t beat the 6800GT as a single card solution. Then, as the price of the 6800GT drops, it may become more attractive for you to upgrade to a second card rather than buying a next generation GPU. As long as we’re between DirectX cycles, SLI enables you to have the fastest most robust graphics setup out there without missing out on much.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2284&p=18

deception``

deception`` said:

deception``

I do not agree.... Sure your current system will handle things just fine but when you do upgrade in a few months it will be worth crap compared to now.
You can sell your stuff now and still get a decent price... I did !!

badge56 said:
I do not agree.... Sure your current system will handle things just fine but when you do upgrade in a few months it will be worth crap compared to now.
You can sell your stuff now and still get a decent price... I did !!

Given that he already has a credible system, his best interested would be to wait for Nforce4/PCIe, or at the very least, the newer revision E s939 chips. However, I do not have time to deliberate on this further. As I said earlier, I will provide more thoughts later.

deception``

Larethus said:
You noticed that much of a difference? hmmmm.... you are tempting me ;)
How do you like the Abit board? Nice overclocking options? Any complaints?
Also instead of trying to find out myself, I'll just ask you - How do you know if it is a Winchester core? What is stepping code?

I like the Abit just fine. I am now waiting like many others for a new stepping of Winchester or the new Venice. Abit boards have all the overclocking bells & whistles like usual and are stable. Love Abit boards. The only problem I am having is running RAM at 1:1 with the overclocked CPU but a lot of people are having the same problems with MSIs Asus and Gygabytes.... Its a Winchester problem I am sure..

Winchesters are 90nn cores vs the 130nn cores of the Newcastles. The codes DIK4BI indicate Winchester.... so far... do not know what the newer ones will have as codes but you must ask if the vendor does not display information. Newegg does..

My CPU is a week 0437 code ADA3200DIK4BI, CBBFD0437RPDW

Badge, the main reason for your noticeable performance increase is not your Athlon 64. Rather, it is your upgrade from a 9700 Pro to an x800 Pro. It also accounts for your respectable Aquamark score primarily. Sure, the A64 is a faster chip than an AXP-M @ 2.6 Ghz, but as Grov wisely pointed out, a mobile barton @ 2.6 is far from slow.

Looking at his current system, I'd say he probably gets 3D Marks around roughly 24-25k. With an Athlon 64 upgrade, he'll probably hit around 28-29k. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see all that money worth such a small upgrade (in his case, that is). Then again, the argument can be made that 3D Mark is no longer the best determinant of actual performance. To be fair, I admit that he'll probably see an additional 20-30 fps in some higher-end games, such as Far Cry, D3, and HL2. Yet this still is not enough to justify an upgrade to the K8 core in his situation. I'd probably be a little more enthusiastic if he had a 9700 Pro or equivalent, but the fact the currently possesses a high-end card means that his upgrade will mean little even in games.

His best bet is to wait for Nforce 4, obviously because PCIe is the future. If he wishes to keep his current card, however, he still needs to wait on the newer Athlon 64 chips. I say this because they are believed to remedy some of the current issues plagued by the Winchester processors. This does not mean that Winchesters are a terrible buy, but the fact of the matter is that there is belief that the revision E chips will include an enhanced memory controller, better thermal management (i.e. the chips won't get so hot as you increase speed), and possibly SSE3. So it is in his best interests to just sit tight when other alternatives are around the corner.

deception``

Back